Cider Calls For 7.9G Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwaven

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have got one of those Cider house kits. I had not realized that the instructions call for a 7.9G fermenter. All I have are standard 5G carboys available.

So my question: Is it ok for me to brew this in a smaller fermenter? I realize I will likely get less product but will it affect the quality?

Instructions are basically:

Mix the stuff up in 3G of boiling water
Top up to 6G of water

So if I I adjust a bit and say do 2.5-3G hot water and then top up to 5G. Doable?

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Kits are basically just juice concentrates, so I think your plan is a solid one. You can expect a higher OG and ABV, but other than that everything should go smoothly.

The push for larger primaries probably came from beginner beer kits and liquid/live-culture yeasts getting more common. With the yeast ready to rock, and at high cell viability, high kraeusen hits fast and hard. Nothing turns people away from the hobby faster than a bunch of stanky goo on the floor.

Cider really doesn't have the protein content to support much of a kraeusen, even with a top-fermenting ale yeast. Be ready for a blow off if you're using an ale yeast, but it probably won't be much of one.

I think you'll be pleased with the results if its too strong for you, you could always dilute it back down to the kits specs...normally I don't dilute anything but if I was in your shoes every time I racked into a secondary I would top it off to kill the head space.

Hey all,

Thanks for your prompt replies and suggestions. Sounds like I should be fine to continue on with using my carboy. I will see how things go and if it looks possible I'll top it off in the secondary some more.

Cheers!

Back