Cider Book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdragon

Reaction score
I am sure this has been posted a billion times but...

Is there a good hard cider making book out there???

I have read Palmer for beer brewing and Schram for mead and was wondering if there is an equivalent.

Thanks!
-Cheryl

But are any of them any good?

It's hard to tell from some of the online descriptions. I am really looking for something that will list a couple good recipes and outline some of the basics about how cider is different than other brewing. I have done about 6 batches of beer so I understand basic brewing and I don't want to grow my own apple trees or anything lol.

Ben Watson's Cider Hard & Sweet is an awesome book for an aspiring cider maker. There is a brand new edition out just last month with lots of updates and a bunch more on Perry making.

This is my favorite cider book and the update is even better. There is lots of cider history and cider making in this book. A must have... er no pun intended. Sorry.

----------------
Listening to: Kenny Baker - Greenleaf Breakdown
via FoxyTunes

The cider books by Ben Watson and Annie Proulx are both very good.

In my opinion, the best book around is "The Art of Cidermaking" by Paul Correnty. While the first two books have a lot of good technical info, the Correnty book really pulls it all together. Unfortunately, it is out of print, but you might be able to find it at your local library.

I suppose I should mention "Cider, Making, Using & Enjoying Sweet & Hard Cider" by Annie Proulx is a really good choice too.

I would recommend this book. If you're wanting to make cider with real apples instead of just apple juice, this book will help you out a lot. It covers the apple varieties of different countries, regional cider types...everything from making cider to starting your own apple orchard. My favorite parts are the small historical tidbits scattered throughout the text.

Latest posts

Back