Cider BOMM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajunrph

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been caught up in the BOMM thread so much I was wondering if there is a need or even a good idea to use the BOMM nutrient schedule with Cider. I started two on Sunday but only did the initial nutrient additions. I've looked and can't find an answer.

I was trying to shorten the time to consumption like BOMM does for mead. I guess I'll have to amp up my fermentation schedule to get enough in the pipeline. The SG was 1.078 vs the SG of 1.122 of the meads. The Cider OG was just about the 1/3rd break of the mead. One would probably be ok. I'll check in a month to see. I will say it is churning along with the fermentation.

Even a hydromel with a SG of ~1.055 really only needs an up front nutrient addition. My last two were done that way and I had them bottled in 2 weeks.

Having said that, I actually just started my first two (separate) gallons of cider last week. I threw in a 1/2tsp of fermaid O when I pitched my yeast. When I left for vacation a couple days later they were fermenting right along with no off smells or anything. I’m hoping they will be ready to bottle this weekend. I will report back when I get home and settled and check them out.

Back