Cider/Apfelwein with tea leaves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWiggles

Reaction score
Has anyone tried it? Is it worth a try? I've made a couple small 1 gallon batches of cider and apfelwein (I've got one sitting on peach slices and another on agave nectar currently). But I'm wondering if it would be worth a shot to steep some teabags in a gallon of cider to hopefully impart some tea-esque flavors. I'm a fairly big tea drinker so I've got at least 15 flavors on hand to try out for this but I'm open for any suggestions such as:
How many bags per gallon?
Primary or secondary?
Which tea type? (white, red, black, etc.)
Wine or ale yeast?

Thanks in advance.

I know when we were kids we would put tea bags in with our cider crocks. Dont know why, But thats the way we were shown how to do it.
If I happen to have some on hand I'll still put 1 or 2 in. Dont think that I ever really noticed anything different but I wasnt really lookin either.

Don't know about using it to impart flavor, but I have boiled the heck out of a few bags to add tannins to batches using store juice.

I have made a few ciders using 4 to 5 black tea bags just to add tannins also.
I can't say it made a big difference, but it did add a little more "body" to the drink.
I would say adjust to your taste.

Has anyone tried it? Is it worth a try? I've made a couple small 1 gallon batches of cider and apfelwein (I've got one sitting on peach slices and another on agave nectar currently). But I'm wondering if it would be worth a shot to steep some teabags in a gallon of cider to hopefully impart some tea-esque flavors. I'm a fairly big tea drinker so I've got at least 15 flavors on hand to try out for this but I'm open for any suggestions such as:
How many bags per gallon?
Primary or secondary?
Which tea type? (white, red, black, etc.)
Wine or ale yeast?

Thanks in advance.

You might find some useful info here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f167/
Regards, GF.

It's standard in the UK when making turbo ciders as they tend to call them to add a three bag cup of strong brewed tea to a UK five gallon batch which is your 6.5 gallon batch.
It adds tannins and complexities to the brew that are otherwise not there.

Back