Cider Ale (Graff?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmarksbury

Reaction score
So about a week and a half ago I attempted to make a Cider Ale. I used the following recipe which came from this youtube video:

------------------------------------------------
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt0HUwKcvtg[/ame]

6L of apple juice
2 cups of brown sugar
400G Crystal malt 60
5 tablespoons of stevia
3 liters of water
1 pkg nottingham ale yeast

Steep the crystal malt 60 in 3 liters of water at 154F for 30 mins. Strain the worst and rinse with 8-12 oz of water at 154. Boil for 30 mins and cool. Top up to 2 Liters if needed. add brown sugar before wort cools, then add to apple juice once at room temperature.
------------------------------------------------

I just transferred it to secondary last night. Overall it turned out ok, but I must say it had a bit of a strong aftertaste of ale, and not in a good way. One thing to note, I did NOT add the stevia. I wanted to see how it came out without it first and back sweeten if needed. At this point, it does not need it.

I have NOT added any stabilizer to it at this point so I was thinking about attempting to restart fermentation by adding 1 gallon of apple juice to dilute the crystal malt flavor.

Since I have racked it, will this work? Or will I need to add more yeast?

And the bigger question is really, do you think this will help with the flavor? I of course still want the ale flavor, but want it to be a compliment to the cider flavor.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back