Chunk O' Pig.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love it when the supermarkets mess up with stock levels.

This chunk of pig cost me £7. Should of been £45.
God know what I'm going to do with it all.

Gammon.jpg

orfy said:
God know what I'm going to do with it all.

BBQ,

I'm not sure how popular BBQ is in the UK, but Pig 'n Beer have always been great friends in my mind.

Kai

It's very popular (With me anyway) but not when it's sub zero, dark and cloudy.
If it was summer, one'd be on full, one would be on in steaks and the other would be in pea and ham soup.

I think I'm just going to oven roast these for 5 hours. One naked, one in rosemary & honey and one in mustard & oil. (That's the pg not me)

I did a loin on the grill NYE that had a rub of sage/rosemary/thyme/crushed garlic stirred into dijon mustard and olive oil and smoked with cherry wood chips...came out pretty dang good. My Mom does a great ham in the oven that includes molasses and pineapple, but I don't know the recipe off the top of my head.

Do you have a slicer? Could slice some up for breakfast biscuits (that's US biscuits).

orfy said:
One naked, one in rosemary & honey and one in mustard & oil. (That's the pg not me)
Instead of naked, rub it with some bbq rub, wrap in plastic wrap & refridgerate overnight, then bake it. That's be almost bbq-ish, and you won't have to go outside. You'll need a vinegar bbq sauce to go with that...do you need a recipe?

orfy said:
It's very popular (With me anyway) but not when it's sub zero, dark and cloudy.

Fair weather bbq'er huh? I have the benefit of a covered patio so I'm bbq'n all year round baby! And the beauty is my wife has been trained to know that I can't q without a brew so anytime she buys steak at the store she knows she better pick up a sixer as well! Ha ha!

AHU

Oh yeah, without a beer in hand I probably couldn't even find the ignition switch. Childish, yes - but an effective ploy.

AHU

BBQ'ing in the winter when it's cold out is the best . . . . helps ya keep that heat low and slow on the meat, just remember to use a bit more beer to keep the humidity up . . .

And El P . . . . I have to admit you're the first person I have heard of from Texas that would even dare mention sauce, you got balls LOL

Dont get me wrong I LOVE sauce, hell who am I fooling I love all 4 styles of BBQ, but I thought sauce was a hanging offense in Texas

PS 4 styles = North Carolina, Texas, Memphis and Kansas City . . . the rest are just variations, no offence

... That's alot of pig, orfy. Hope you're hungry :)

Didn't even realise there four distinct styles. Can you elaborate on the different styles? I've only ever thought in terms of wet vs dry, but then again I don't really know much about bbq'ing I'm afraid.

In NC bbq is a noun, not a verb, and means pig. In the eastern part of the state (where they know the most about bbq'ing) they use a vinegar based sauce with some brown sugar and crushed pepper in it. In the western part of the state they introduce some tomatoes to the mix.

Then there's the other states... ;)

LupusUmbrus said:
... That's alot of pig, orfy. Hope you're hungry :)

Didn't even realise there four distinct styles. Can you elaborate on the different styles? I've only ever thought in terms of wet vs dry, but then again I don't really know much about bbq'ing I'm afraid.
And I quote from the South Carlina BBQ Association website:
There are generally considered to be four types of barbeque in the country and they, by and large, are broken down by the type of sauce use in basting and also as a finish sauce, used when the barbeque is being served. Those four, in order of historical emergence, are Vinegar and Pepper, Mustard, Light Tomato and Heavy Tomato. And while there is always disagreement on the varieties of preparation, such as whether one should use a dry rub or a wet rub and various other culinary arguments, all of the many sauces used in America generally will fall into one of those four basic groups. North and South Carolina share three of the four types of barbeque sauce that Americans normally use. But only South Carolina is the home of all four.

Recipes would be great.

I have 3 in the oven now and another 4 to go. I haven't BBQ'd much this winter with all the travelling I've been doing but I BBQ'd last years Christmas turkey. I'm far from a fair weather bbqer.

Beer BBQ Pig Scrumpy. Yummy

:D :cross:

Wow, thanks for the info, ian. They all sound good to me, but I think I've only tried two of those styles so far.

Pumbaa said:
And El P . . . . I have to admit you're the first person I have heard of from Texas that would even dare mention sauce, you got balls LOL

Dont get me wrong I LOVE sauce, hell who am I fooling I love all 4 styles of BBQ, but I thought sauce was a hanging offense in Texas

PS 4 styles = North Carolina, Texas, Memphis and Kansas City . . . the rest are just variations, no offence
I was going to comment on him liking the vinegar sauce from NC. I lived there (NC) 3 times and I still don't like it. (I saw that show too).:D

The First Law of BBQ

I don't know what you did to that pig, but it ain't real BBQ.

(This, of course, only applies to other people's BBQ, not mine!)

LupusUmbrus said:
Wow, thanks for the info, ian. They all sound good to me, but I think I've only tried two of those styles so far.

As in most Southern states, growing up in South Carolina means BBQ! I grew up in the center of the state where Mustard Based is the Law. Now I live in the upstate where vinegar and pepper is the predominant one and I have to saw I'm becoming partial to that - don't tell anyone in my family though!

Latest posts

Back