Chugger versus March

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
I think my next upgrade to my brew house will be a pump. In my limited time at work tonight, I've tried to search for some links directly comparing the two. Seem to have plenty of links where people are having problems, but not too much luck otherwise where the two have been compared side by side.

As always, I want the investment to be solid and not something I have to rebuy because I did not do my homework. I'm looking for a stainless pump head. Probably inline. I'm torn on which to buy because they both seem to have the same pumping specs, but are 50-60 bucks separating the two.

Can anyone reference any previous links where this has been hashed out? If not, feel free to inject your opinion here. I have no experience with pumps yet, so all opinions welcomed.

Thanks ahead of time.

Ken

Rumor has it that they'll be combining forces. I don't know how true it is though.

They ar both so popular I don't really think you can go wrong with either. I'm sure you'll find horror stories for both. I think the march are considered the premium option if you don't mind spending a few extra dollars. If you're the average 5-10 gal home Brewer doing 20 batches a year then the chugger will serve nicely. I've had chugger for a year and a half and been satisfied. ... Good luck!

I've had my Chugger for over two years and it keeps chugging along! Been very happy with it.

Your good with either, I have March pumps (5+ years old) but would 't hesitate to pick up a Chugger.
I would go for whatever one you can get cheaper.

My March pump with the polysulphone housing is still going strong after over 100 batches and almost 15 years of use. Mounting the pump so that the intake and discharge pipes are anchored to the pump mount, prevents the breakable housing from moving...and breaking.
IMG_0183.jpg

My March pump with the polysulphone housing is still going strong after over 100 batches and almost 15 years of use. Mounting the pump so that the intake and discharge pipes are anchored to the pump mount, prevents the breakable housing from moving...and breaking.
IMG_0183.jpg

Thanks for the reply Martin. I'm just waiting on the best opportunity when I have some spare play money. I do like the pump box. I still think I would prefer a stainless head, but I'm still doing my homework. For many, this would be a simple purchase. I just have to use careful thought on how I want to build and grow. Always tough drawing that line between something that I need to brew better beer, or want to use to make brewing beer easier. lol

My research on this subject resulted with "decide what you want to spend, add up connection costs, and pick whatever brand that fits your budget." I landed a center inlet chugger pump unused locally for dirt cheap ($160 with a 50' 1/2" chiller) so I went with chugger. The only difference I ever saw was pump noise. Locally the shops carry chugger and use chugger.
As for poly vs stainless head it's personal preference. My step father has a poly head because it's $40-60 less and that could be your valve and connections if you shop around. I read the fears of cracking the head and if it happens on a brew day you can replace it after having a horrible brew day needing to manually transfer a lot of water.

Back