Chop, mince or juice ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaddark

Reaction score
Cant see it mentioned anywhere so info appreciated, read somewhere that a receipe stated to mince, chop, or juice products for making a particular wine.
I am going to do a rhubarb wine soon and thought seeing as l have a juicer l could get the rhubarb juice without the solids ?
Possible or not, good idea or a bad one ?
I have a brew going at the moment but that one l spent a long time chopping into small pieces as the stems are small and narrow, will split up and replant now winter is here in New Zealand. Thanks for any replies. :)

i got growled at for posting here.

hmm... Growled at? Seems odd. Usually folks on this forum are very helpful. And yours seems like a legitimate question...

I considered trying to run my rhubarb thru a juicer, but the prospect of all that stringy mess plugging things up led me to chop/freeze/thaw.

The freeze/thaw breaks the cell walls and lets more of the juice out than just chopping and adding raw. Plus you have less issues with pectin than what you'd get with boiling.

My Rhubarb Rye Ale comes out crystal clear... No pectin haze. And I get plenty of rhubarb flavor from 2-3lbs in 5gal of beer.

I've used rhubarb a few times, and the freeze thaw method is definatly the way to go. With pectic enzyme added, the only thing left of the rhubarb will be the outer skin and some dense pulp.

The person who looks after the Forums etc pointed out that my query should have been in another forum as where l put it was for Wine recipes, and l should have a look at the Beginers Forum. Next time l will try to find the right place. It is a bit confusing with so many forums. I think l will stick with the tried and true method of chopping freezing and thawing. Any way guys, thankyou for your help, l shall take note of what you have both said.
Pete

Latest posts

Back