Choice of secondary fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delpo

Reaction score
I have read in the forum that most people prefer glass carboys for secondaries over plastic buckets. Is the preference due to the headspace factor? Would a plastic, food grade, container with little or no headspace be as effective?

Thanks in advance for your thougths.

Delpo

Headspace is one consideration when choosing a vessel for secondary. The other big factor is oxygen permeability of the material. Most plastics will, over time allow oxygen to enter through the material.

Better bottles are made of a type of plastic that allows very little oxygen penetration. Using food grade buckets would be just fine for short term secondaries (1-2months) but for longer terms I'd go with a better bottle or glass.

That being said, I don't know that anyone has legitimately done a long term study of using a different plastic to secondary in. Just the fact that you might sacrifice 5-gal of beer is enough to keep me from trying.

Back