Choice for First All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
I am trying to decide on what type of beer to do for my first All Grain Batch.

Currently I have (2) extract brews in fermentation: Blonde ALe and Irish Stout.

I know this is a subjective question because opinions will be based on individuals tastes...but I am entertaining any opinions and thoughts.

I am a big Stout fan.....but since I have a extract version fermenting I am leaning towards not doing that....unless perhaps an all grain stout will be significantly better than an extract...etc.

Any opinions?

Centennial blonde from the recipes section. You'll be happy you did. It's an awesome beer. :)

I did Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde for my first all grain and it is a great beer. You can also try some of EdWort's recipes, they are good recipes and he usually only uses 2 or 3 grains. nice and easy.

Do a simple American pale ale with some Crystal 40 and Munich with only a couple hop additions, That will be pretty easy and a good beer with a bit of color and some body.

Maybe something like this

Amarillo Ale

Or this

Awesome Amber Ale

I've also been happy brewing with all-grain "kits" from places like Northern Brewer
and Austin Home Brew

Here's a kit from Northern Brewer with 1 hop addition, about 10 lbs of grain that's dark called El Modelo Norte

The worst part of brewing your first batch of all grain, is deciding what the second batch is going to be. Just looked in the fridge and I only have 7 bottles of my American Brown Ale left. Waiting patiently for the Fed Ex truck to pull up with the ingredients to start brewing a Hefeweizen.

Back to the OP's topic. If you prefer Stouts, but already have a stout fermenting look for something similar in a different style, maybe a porter or a dark ale. When I developed my recipes, I thought back to different beers I have truly enjoyed of the years. There are tons of websites that have indexed recipes based on style. I like Hopville, but there are many more out there.

Thats what I chose for my first AG. I've been brewing light, summer beers, and I wanted something with a quick turn around for my first AG. I don't want to brew up more AG batches until I have tasted my first, to know what to change/improve.

Are you doing BIAB or do you have a mash tun? I think that with BIAB the ingredients don't really matter, but I have heard of people having stuck sparges or something with wheat when they use a mash tun.

I really have no idea on the specifications, but nobody has mentioned it so I figured I would bring it up.

And for BIAB I would recommend a light grain bill for your first one, just to see what all your equipment can hold. I used a calculator online that said my grain and water should take up about 3.7 gallons, but when I put it all in my 5 gallon brew pot it was very very close to the top. Almost too close for comfort.

Back