Chocolate stout HIGH OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanjints

Reaction score
I just brewed a chocolate stout it was my 3rd brew. The first was a wheat that turned out drinkable but not a good beer. I wouldn't buy it. The second turned out awesome it was a brown ale that I added some cherry whiskey soaked oak chips into secondary.

I really wanted to brew this chocolate and the recipe I bought from my local brew shop didn't have as much chocolate as I wanted so I added some to my boil. It isn't like I just threw it in. I added semi-sweet chocolate to the beginning of the boil. I figured what the heck I'll make it with a higher alcohol content.

I didn't expect 1.070 OG. My question is about my yeast. I put in 1 packet of rehydrated Safale 04 (I think thats what its called I am too lazy to go downstairs right now).

Is that one packet going to get the job done? Should I expect to put more yeast in after a few days?

I put it in a closest last night after the brewing was over but it was too cold in there this morning. I moved it this morning and this afternoon it was bubbling away. I expected a blown out air lock with such a high OG but that didn't happen.

A nice side note is I walked into my living room from outside and it smelled like my wife baked brownies or something but it was the beer.:ban:

I second the above, your yeast should be fine. Now that it has gotten started it should take care of its own business.

When you say you added "semi-sweet chocolate," do you mean like chocolate chips, or a bar or something? If either of those is the case you shouldn't probably expect too great of a head retention, as the oil in the chocolate will basically kill it off...

That high of an OG will be just fine with Safale-04. Brewer's Best Imperial Nut Brown comes with a packet of S-04 and it's target OG is 1.072. RDWHAHB or empty some bottles so you can HAHB soon.

Back