Chocolate Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaman

Reaction score
I'm trying to concoct a chocolate soda. There is a diner I used to go to that would add chocolate flavoring to any soda, chocolate dr. pepper was beautiful. I'm not trying to recreate this exactly, if I were I would just pour chocolate syrup into a dr. pepper. Searching for chocolate soda recipes turned up bunk on this forum, the only legitimate recipe I found elsewhere on the internet is listed below.

Combine Water, Sugar, Cocoa, Cinnamon, and Vanilla; boil 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Let cool, add yeast, bottle.

This recipe was found here: Homemade Chocolate Soda « LIBATIONS

It is a rather useless recipe as the only quantities he gives are of the amount of water used....and honestly if I had sat down and thought about what I would make a chocolate soda out of, I would have come up with the same thing on my own.

Here is my recipe for chocolate soda:

2 Liters hot water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp fleischmann's active dry bread yeast

Combine all ingredients except yeast, stir to blend. When slightly warmer than room temperature, add yeast, shake, and bottle. I just made a batch of this, I'll be tasting it tomorrow and will report back with my results. While waiting for this to cool down, I was pouring myself a cup of coffee and had an idea. Since I have 1 Liter bottles, after pitching the yeast I filled up one bottle, then added 1/2 Tbsp instant coffee to the batch and filled the other bottle with that. So I'll have two different sodas to taste tomorrow.

Honestly, I'm not sure you can get a better result than just adding chocolate syrup to your cola base, whether you add it prior to bottling/kegging or in the glass.

A little over 13 hours now, the bottles are already rock hard so I threw them into the fridge. I'll give em a taste tomorrow morning and post my results.

All I do is mix an ounce of chocolate syrup with a cup of milk and add 8 ounces of soda water. Like an Egg Cream or YooHoo.

I've had a few samples of this now, it is quite yummy. Not too sweet, and it actually tastes like a coke with a hint of chocolate. I guess if I added prune juice it would taste more like dr. pepper, but I'm happy with these results. The bottle with the instant coffee in it had a volcanic eruption when I opened the bottle, and the coffee taste is barely noticeable. I'll be experimenting with different amounts of everything in the future.

Back