Chocolate Porter Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayPowHound

Reaction score
Trying to come up with an AG Chocolate Porter recipe for this winter. I'd like something not too bitter and certainly not too sweet but with a noticeable chocolatey finish, if that makes sense... Here's what I've come up with, what do you think??

OG: 1.061
FG: 1.015
IBU: 48
ABV: 6.1%
BU:GU .78

Single step infusion at 154*
60 min boil

10# 2-Row (81.6%)
1# Munich (8.2%)
1# Chocolate (8.2%)
4oz. Black (2.0%)

1 oz. 8.1% Northern Brewer for 25.8 IBU @ 60min
2 oz. 5.0% Golding for 19.3 IBU @ 20min
1 oz. 4.5% Fuggle for 2.9 IBU @ 5min.

Wyeast 1098 - British Ale

So what would you keep, what would you change? Is there the right amount of chocolate to get the flavor I want? I ditched the crystal for munich to mellow down the sweetness, was that a good move? Should I keep the black in there, add some roasted? Thanks!!

hmmm..to me 1# chocolate seems a bit much. I'd maybe up the munich, substitute some 2-row for a mild ale malt, maybe use some dehusked carafa I or II instead of the chocolate. Throw in 4-8oz of toasted oats for some creaminess...mmmm

Recipe looks good as is, though I would drop the munich for some dark crystal malt. 8% chocolate is fine, I frequently use up to 10% in robust porter and american stouts and get great results. Add a little roasted barley and you'll get a lovely dark chocolate - mocha flavor. Also, flaked oats would make a great addition, say 5%. Black patent isn't really necessary here IMO.

Back