Chocolate Peanut butter Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tberry

Reaction score
So this is a recipe Ive brewed and gotten pretty good reviews on but I personally am not satisfied and looking for general advice on a few points. We're always our wort critics right...

15 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.9 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.9 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.6 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.6 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.6 %
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7 5.3 %
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 29.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml] Yeast 9 -
Also add on container of PB2 and a package of cocoa nibs to the secondary

Est Original Gravity: 1.094 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.026 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.0 %
Bitterness: 29.7 IBUs
Est Color: 33.3 SRM

This beer was brewed Nov 21st and first one cracked on march 17th. My impressions are that number one the bitterness is too low and needs to be increased to achieve a better BU:GU ratio. Its sweet, its good and drinkable for sure but seeking better balance and intend on address the bitterness in the next batch. Aroma was not anything overwhelming although taste was more than expected. This stout has a wonderful deep roast dark chocolate flavor although I feel the peanut butter is subtle and possibly getting in the way. This beer was carbed at stout levels but cant help feeling the mouth feel is over carbed and wonder if its not the PB2 contributing in some way. As I said its a good beer now but I want to make it a great beer, welcome any advice. What Im planning on is adding more IBUs to balance (most like more in at 60 min and nothing at the end, although open to hopping it like a late hopped IPA for flavor) considering dropping the PB2 altogether and only going with a chocolate stout.

I think you just need more sources of PB flavor. Its hard to get it locked in IME, so I started using multiple sources to round it out more. Some give more flavor, some more aroma. I actually just tasted the first bottle of my 3rd PB stout and it turned out great. I used Capn Crunch in the mash and as a dry hop, 2 containers of PB2 in a secondary, and a capful of Lorann's PB flavoring to taste at bottling. Cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and lactose for the chocolate part

I would cut the lactose back to 0.5lb or at least 12oz. a full pound was too much for my tastes. Otherwise I think the recipe looks good. Not a fan of s-04 though. I use Irish Ale yeast for my stouts but used us-05 when I was still only doing dry yeasts

I too have used Peanut Butter Crunch cereal in the mash. It worked suprisingly well. I would certainly up the IBUs on this, ~30 IBUs is pretty low for a 1.094 beer. Personally I would shoot for closer to around 60.

whoa 1.094, didnt catch that. Mine was like sessions strength....

but yeah PB crunch worked great. Supposedly all the preservatives help retain the aromatics through fermentation and boiling

Best commercial PB beer I've had said they use real PB in secondary. They fridge/freeze it first to separate and remove as much oil as possible, then just chunk it in. I'm going to get around to trying it one of these days.

great feedback! never thought of PB Crunch. How much did you use at each addition? And Brad Im on the bittering, 60+ is the mark I was thinking. Probably something on the noble variety

I used 1 box in the mash and 1 box dry hopped in secondary. For 5gal

I've been searching high and low for a good Capn Crunch Chocolate Peanut Butter stout to brew. This one looks good. How did it turn out?

Any updates on the recipe?

Thanks...

Back