Chocolate Maple Mead help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauerbrewery1989

Reaction score
So here is my recipe, this will be the first batch i make in the new house. I still have most of my beer brewing equipment still packed. I was hoping for a lighter mead for this fall

Chocolate Maple Mead
Sweet Mead
Extract (5.00 gal) ABV: 10%
OG: 1.066 SG FG: 0.983 SG
IBUs: 0.0 IBUs Color: 8.2 SRM

Ingredients

10 lb - Honey
(100%) - 1.0 SRM

1 lb 8.0 oz - Maple Syrup
Backsweeten

1.00 tsp - Yeast Energizer
Primary

2 pkg - Lalvin D-47
Lallemand - Lalvin #D-47

3.00 tsp - Yeast Nutrient
Primary

2.00 Items - Vanilla Bean
Secondary

8.00 oz - Cocoa Nibs
Secondary

My question is, is there any way I can add the nibs and vanilla bean without soaking it? I was thinking of adding it at the same time I stabilize. I would like to have a sweet, mellow mead for cool fall nights.

You can create an extract in neutral spirit, then add those extracts to the mead. Just soak the beans and nibs in enough vodka to cover them for a couple weeks.

If you meant without soaking it in vodka, yes, you can add them right into the secondary for bulk aging.

Alright, thanks. I figured as much but wanted to be sure. I don't want to use vodka, so I'll add the cocoa nibs and vanilla in as I stabilize, and let it bulk age for awhile.

I'd start tasting it several days after adding the vanilla - it can get overpowering pretty quickly. From what I've read of chocolate mead, it takes upward of a year for the flavor to settle down.

I'd start tasting it several days after adding the vanilla - it can get overpowering pretty quickly. From what I've read of chocolate mead, it takes upward of a year for the flavor to settle down.

Vanilla does come on quickly, but also fades back. I left my beans in secondary for a couple months and had no overpowering vanilla, however it is present, which is why I put it in there in the first place, so YMMV I guess.

I've heard vanilla fades as well. I was hoping only 2 beans would give it a very suble vanilla flavor to accentuate the chocolate. As I'll be aging this for a while I figured the flavors would meld together with time.

Back