Chocolate Guinness Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mttewes

Reaction score
This is a cake recipe I found a few months ago. I've made it a few times and it's always a hit so I thought I would share. Haven't tried substituting my own stout yet but I'm sure it would be delicious!

Ingredients:
1 cup Guinness
1 stick + 2 tbsp unsalted butter
0.75 c unsweetened cocoa
2 c sugar
0.75 c sour cream
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 c flour
2.5 tsp baking soda
8 oz cream cheese
1.25 c powdered sugar
0.5 c heavy cream

Prep:
Preheat oven to 350 F and butter a 9" springform pan.
In a large saucepan pour in Guinness and add butter. Heat until melted then whisk in cocoa and sugar.

Beat sour cream with eggs and vanilla then pour into beer mixture.
Finally, whisk in flour and baking soda. Pour batter into springform pan and bake 45-60 minutes.

Cool completely. Cake will be very moist. Prepare frosting (see below), ice the cake so it resembles the frothy top of the famous pint. Enjoy!

Frosting:
Whip cream cheese until smooth. Sift in powdered sugar and beat together. Add cream and beat until spreadable. (I like to add some guinness to the frosting, about 0.25 cup.)

I have made this a couple of times - it's pure awesomeness. I used the 888 RIS both times.

I didn't use the cream cheese frosting though - just went with straight ganache.

...just went with straight ganache.

Drooool.......

I may have to give this a shot with one of the bottles of Tommyknocker's Imperial Nut Brown (with maple syrup!), and throw a little more beer and some grade B syrup in the frosting.

I have made this a couple of times - it's pure awesomeness.
Damn straight. Maybe the best thing I've ever made.

2682331718_2d5424a075.jpg

Back