Chloroseptic Aroma in Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armadabrewing

Reaction score
So I dont know if any of yall have ever used chloroseptic spray for a sore throat. But I am picking up a small amount of the chloroseptic aroma in this cider we made recently for a family event.

So we picked up some cider from the local farm here. Added brown sugar and fermented it with 1272. The cider was pasteurized and no sorbates or sulfites.

We were going to sulfite it but then realized we used it all on a barrel we stored. Anyways Its 3 weeks old and during tasting samples I picked up that aroma and flavor.

I would like to just assume its a bacterial infection though I dont want to jump the gun.

Notes. Everything was cleaned and sanitized in terms of equipment. Just wanted to throw that out there. I am sure someone was gonna ask.

Chloroseptic from what I remember tasted of phenol. Throwing it out there- You didn't sanitize with bleach and forget to rinse did you? Ferment at a high temp?

Back