Chlorophyll taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir-Hops-A-Lot

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Looking for some feedback about a theory I have about some recent beers that have a strong chlorophyll taste. I won a contest last June with the LBS that got me free extract kits. They store their hops in little ziplocs that I have been putting in my freezer and using later in various extract, partial mash or all grain kits. I have been getting a chlorophyll aftertaste that is linked to using the hops from the LBS kits that I have stored in the freezer and used months later.
Does that make sense?

Hops that haven't been dried or stored properly can have a strong chlorophyll taste. Sometimes moisture is left in before they're packaged and sealed. I got some free Hallertau that was the definition of chlorophyll. They were totally unusable. The hop farm was giving them away.

You could try blending them with good hops, and the results might be interesting.

I think I'll just toss the next ones I get from the monthly kit "prize".
It's a shame to lose batches to bad ingredients.

Back