Chitosan and shellfish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbdist

Reaction score
Hello,

I am making 6 gallons of RJ Spagnols Amarone juice. The instructions had me add Kieselsol and Chitosan after which I noticed that Chitosan contains shellfish products. My questuion is I have a few friends who are deadly allergic to shellfish, now that I have added Chitosan should I have my friends avoid drinking the wine? After some rackings and aging would it be ok for somebody with shellfish allergies to drink it?

Thanks,
Bryan

With absolutely no knowledge on the subject I'd say no, keep them away from it!

Those allergies can be quite extreme! Besides more for you...

(There are othre fining agents you will be able to use on the next batch)

I would NOT offer it to anyone with a shellfish allergy as it's made with shrimp shells. Shellfish allergy is usually one that will send the person into anaphylaxis. Without treatment, death can occur within minutes.

The shellfish package is okay to use. Do a youtube search for how to make wine from a box kit they explain why in there.

Eric

I have read that the Chitosan is safe for people with allergies. I have done alot of reading recently on this topic. Here is an explanation taken from one of the readings. From what I understand, seafood allergies derive from proteins in crustaceans and shellfish, not from materials in their shells.

"Chitosan is a manufactured product that is derived from chitin in the shells, a natural polymer. During the manufacturing process, the shells only (no fleshy protein bits) are used, and any protein that could possibly be clinging is removed. Copy the below link to read about it.

WineMaker Magazine - Techniques Index - Chitosan, dry climate grapes: Wine Wizard

I wondered about this myself, but I haven't done any research. Despite the article posted, I think I'd still warn my boss, who is highly allergic to shellfish, before giving him a bottle of wine made with Chitosan fining. That's cuz I happen to like my current boss. There have been some I've had in the past who I would definitely not warn.

I called the manufacturer of the kit I bought, they said there is absolutely no protein left after the process they go through and there is absolutly no way that theres anything left that would cause an allergy.
???

There are alternatives, but they said that they did not work as well.

My wife is extremely allergic to shellfish, she recently spent 4 hours in the hostpital after spitting out part of a pot sticker that had shrimp in it. We were 5 minutes away and by the time she got to the ER she couldnt breath anymore.

We will have epipen in hand when she tries it out, on our second batch we just didnt use it at all because everyone said it will clear naturally with bulk ageing.

Hey all, I also got an email from Wine Expert when I was concerned about this, and here is the exact answer that I got.

Hello,
Thank you for your contact and for choosing our products. Although the raw material for chitosan is derived from shellfish, the way it is processed completely destroys all proteins. The shells are ground to a fine powder and soaked in sodium hydroxide (essentially lye, the same ingredient in oven cleaner that breaks down the proteins in the material on the wall of a dirty oven). It is processed three times to achieve the grade that we use as a fining agent. What is left is actually a long-chain polysaccharide, a form of sugar that is so complex that it resembles polyester more than actual table sugar.

This process degrades _all_ of the protein in the shells. Proteins are the compounds that cause the allergic reaction in human beings: no protein, no reaction.

The material is so safe that it is currently used in water treatment facilities across Canada and the world: you may have already consumed some. It is even sold as a dietary supplement (it absorbs certain fats in the digestive system, and some people believe it helps with weight loss).

So the chitosan is completely safe.

I can vouch I have an an extreme allergy to shellfish, I've made wine using chitosan to clarify and had no adverse reaction.
Of course I did this before I knew it was made from shellfish. But ever since I've done that, I continue to use superkleer with no adverse effects.

But more as a sidebar issue - vegans, vegetarians and those who observe the laws of kashrut (keep kosher) may not eat anything made from shell-fish so it's not only a (questionable) health issue but an issue that even those who have no known allergies may want to know that you fine with Chitosan.

I can vouch I have an an extreme allergy to shellfish, I've made wine using chitosan to clarify and had no adverse reaction.
Of course I did this before I knew it was made from shellfish. But ever since I've done that, I continue to use superkleer with no adverse effects.
Thanks for posting this. My best friend has a deadly fish allergy and now I will not worry about giving her some of my kit wine.

I would NOT offer it to anyone with a shellfish allergy as it's made with shrimp shells. Shellfish allergy is usually one that will send the person into anaphylaxis. Without treatment, death can occur within minutes.
I didn’t know I was allergic to shellfish until I started drinks DE a few years ago. After a few months my allergy came on like a force. It was then I asked around and found out krill is the thing I should avoid. Thank you for explaining this better by stating the shrimp shells. To anyone with a shellfish allergy you may want to avoid products with krill in them. They don’t always list it as an allergy Item.

FWIW, a friend of mine asked the people who make Super Kleer and he was assured that the processing that's done on it totally negates any shellfish effects on people.

Keep in mind kits are 90 day wonders, if you have the time and have other wines that are ready now it won't hurt to let it set 3 months before bottling

Back