Chinook with Mosaic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
Anybody try an IIPA with these two hops? Got a pound each and want to pack it with a bunch of hops

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You had me at Mosaic and lost me at Chinook hahaha... That's just one of those hops -- some people love it and some hate it (me). But I actually am kind of optimistic about your idea of combining it with the Mosaic, which has a very different [and strong] profile that might actually go well with it.

Good luck! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

Never used Mosaic. I am debating of using it by itself

Three days and no one has reported doing this. I say you must conduct this experiment in the name of science and report your findings. Go while you have my blessing and not my demand.

I think they will go really well together. Personally I think Mosaic is one of the most pungent hops (along the lines of Amarillo, Simcoe, etc). Chinook to me is average intensity. So choose your balance wisely. If you're trying to have equal perception, I'd imagine something like 2:1 Chinook:Mosaic. Maybe a little closer ratio than 2:1.

On a related note, I've been tasting a lot of variation in the (limited number of) Mosaic beers I've had. Some are crazy citrus and tropical, and then some are dank and garlicky. Either way it'll work with Chinook, but I've just been surprised.

Thinking of this hop schedule

2 oz chinook at 60 min
2 oz chinook at 30 min
2 oz chinook at 10 min
2 oz mosaic at 10 min
3 oz chinook at 30 min whirlpool
3 oz mosaic at 30 min whirlpool
3 oz chinook dry hop
3 oz mosaic at dry hop

The last double ipa i used this and liked it a lot. Dry and big

OG: 1.090
FG: 1.013 (perhaps lower)
ABV 10.3%

6kg: marris otter 81%
0.3kg: amber malt 4%
0.3kg: wheat malt 4%
0.8kg: sugar 11%

Get around 75% eff when i batch sparge

You're going to get a fair amount of bittering from that big load of whirlpool hops. If you're going with that I would back way down on your 60 and 30 min additions, especially using chinook I'd be worried its going to be really harsh (and I'm a chinook fan). Just for kicks I plugged this in Beersmith including your whirlpool additions and I'm getting 279 IBU calculated for a 5 gal batch.

You're going to get a fair amount of bittering from that big load of whirlpool hops. If you're going with that I would back way down on your 60 and 30 min additions, especially using chinook I'd be worried its going to be really harsh (and I'm a chinook fan). Just for kicks I plugged this in Beersmith including your whirlpool additions and I'm getting 279 IBU calculated for a 5 gal batch.

This is true, but it depends on the temperature of your whirlpool/hopstand. Isomerization drops off as you bring the temperature down from a boil, and ceases somewhere around 170 F. This means that if you add your post-boil hops at this temperature, you don't have to worry about such huge bittering contribution from them, but you still get big flavor/aroma contribution.

And I don't trust BeerSmith's whirlpool calculator. It doesn't take temperature into consideration, nor does it calculate the extended contact that your boil hops would presumably have by staying in the kettle post boil. I don't know exactly what its calculus is, but it gives WAY higher numbers than what actually comes out in the finished beer.

That said, I'm still with chickypad on reducing your early boil additions. Stick some of those hops in a time slot where you can actually taste and smell them rather than just be overwhelmed by their bitterness.

1oz chinook @ 30 min will probably do the trick. Don't have my Beersmith in front of me but your probably even close to a good IBU range with what you have from your 10min and whirlpool additions depending when you add the whirlpool hops.

Thanks for the info never did a whirlpool. Was doing some research on the topic. What think about this

2oz of chinook 10 min
2oz of mosaic 10 min
3oz of chinook whirlpool
3oz of mosaic whirlpool
2oz chinook whirlpool @170 for 20min
2oz mosaic whirlpool @170 for 20min

Actually did not do this yet i still have the unopened bags in the fridge. I decided to use what i had opened. I made a simcoe cascade IIPA. This is next

Although I had a southern tier one that only uses mosaic hops and a single malt. This was one of mu favorite IIPAs. May just use mosaic by itself

I'm interested to hear how this turns out. I've done an IPA using only chinook, and one with only mosaic. Two totally different flavors.

Back