• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Minnesota Chillzilla Counterflow Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
This is for a my Chillzilla! Counterflow Wort Chiller. I am stepping up to a 1bbl system and need a bigger chiller. I keep my equipment clean. This is from Northern Brewer. Here is what they say about it.

"Three features set the Chillzilla apart from conventional counterflow chiller designs — the first is an all-metal construction. The excellent conductive properties of non-rusting copper tubing give the Chillzilla outstanding heat-transfer capacity.

The second is an inside tube (which carries wort from the kettle, through the chiller, into the fermentor) that is convoluted into an elongated spiral. This shape enhances the chiller's efficiency by creating turbulence in the cold water flowing through the outer tube and increasing the surface area of the wort that's exposed to cold water.

The third is the large (1/2-inch diameter) copper tubing used for the inside tube, which increases the flow rate and decreases the chilling time.

The bottom line: the Chillzilla cools wort very fast with a smaller amount of water; five gallons of wort can be cooled in under ten minutes (or less if you're brewing in a Minnesota winter).

The Chillzilla is very easy to sanitize using boiling water or Star San (or a combination). Another bonus is its compact size — unlike the bulky counterflow chillers of yesteryear, the Chillzilla measures just 10 inches from top coil to bottom coil, and 6 inches in diameter. It even comes with a bracket for optional permanent mounting.

Needed but not included are 2 to 3 feet of 1/2-inch ID Thermoplastic or Silicone tubing for the hot wort, 2 to 3 feet of 1/2-inch ID vinyl tubing (#7106) for the cool wort going to the fermentor. You will also need to supply two lengths of washing machine hose (available at any hardware store) or garden hose for chilling and waste water."

$160 PP only I'll cover fees and free shipping CONUS

$_1 (1).JPG

$_1.JPG

What size batches were you using it with and what was the average cooling time/temp?
Batch size is irrelevant if you are using a pump with a valve on the output to slow down the wort to get more contact time with the chilling water.

Cooling time/temp varies based on groundwater temps. For me and ~6 gallons into the carboy from 210 to 65 took 12 minutes last week. Water temps are lower this time of year which helps a lot.

Back