Chilling Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
I want to move my brew setup to my apartment. The biggest obstable to making this happen is chilling the wort. I currently use an immersion chiller however i do not have any available faucets to operate the chiller. Does anyone have any alternatives to chilling wort that doesnt involve using city water flow?

You should be able to purchase an adapter that would screw onto a sink faucet that has an aerator on the end. If not, the only thing I can think of is the standard ice bath.

You could buy a submersible water pump, like used in a backyard water fountain. I got one from Harbor Freight that pumps 260 gallons/hour. I use this is the second stage of my cooling. First I using water from a faucet through my immersion chiller. When the wort temp gets near the faucet water temp I switch to using the pump. I put ice and water into a bucket with the submersible pump, and circulate the water through my immersion chiller and back into the bucket. You could do the same thing in a sink.

Depending on your batch size and how large of a sink you have then you can do the ice bath method.

You can look into "no-chill" (search: exploring no chill)

Or you may be able to change out the faucet on your sink to accept GHT (Garden Hose Thread) and continue to use your chiller.

Home depot (or any hardware store, really) sells an adaptor that allows you to connect the IC (which uses garden hose thread) to your sink adaptor. Screw off the aerator on your faucet and bring it with you to make sure it fits. Mine cost 79 cents. Good luck!

Sadly, not all faucets come apart. All the faucets in my house are single piece.

with a bit of plumbing you could tee off the cold water line under your sink and add a hose tap under the sink. (however landlord may have an issue with that).

However, it's easier probably to buy a circulation pump in the sink, I used that for a bit, just took a bit longer than off the tap.

I would suggest taking a look at the no chill method. Search it on this site for more info. I used to use a chiller but have fell in love with no chill. By changing over to a single batch sparge and no chill, I have cut an all grain batch down to as little as 2hrs 45 min which icludes clean up. Most of the time it takes about 3hrs depending on how focused I am.

Back