Chilling cool, pitching warm - advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaskdBagel

Reaction score
Also posted on the General forum - apologies if cross-posts are a no-no. I can kill one thread or the other.

I'm using 3724 for a batch this weekend, and I'm wondering the best way to go about it.

Pertinent info:

1. I use a plate chiller, my ground water is ~45 degrees, and I don't have good flow control on the cold side.

2. 3724 likes it WARM, so I would ideally like to pitch at 88 degrees.

3. Agitation or aeration coming out of my chiller hose are currently my only good methods to oxygenate.

4. Target OG is 1.075, so good oxygen will be important to get things started.

If I could chill to exactly 88, I'd just put a spray aerator on the end of my "wort out" hose, get it all nice and foamy, and pitch right away. However, I know I can't. It'll probably be something closer to 55 coming out of the chiller.

Two options, as I see it. First is to aerate as well as I can into the fermenter, pitch at 55, and set my fermentation chamber to get to 88 ASAP - would probably take 10-12 hours. Second option is to go from the chiller into the fermenter at 55, warm to 88, and then try to agitate as well as possible before pitching.

You don't use 3724 because it's neutral (obviously), so I'm wondering if the first hours are crucial enough that I'm going to sacrifice some of that character by pitching cold. On the other hand, I'm unlikely to get as much oxygen dissolved by shaking the fermenter 12 hours after chilling.

What would you do in this situation? Any other options come to mind?

I could try, for sure. I'd just prefer to have a somewhat concrete plan. If I got the mix exactly right and got to a well aerated 88 degrees (or even a couple of degrees cooler), that would be awesome, but it would take some luck. Otherwise, if I'm warm or cool, I still have some amount of time my wort is sitting there for temperature correction, with my dissolved oxygen dissipating.

BUT it could be that this is a perfectly valid third option, so I appreciate it! Might end up going this way.

Wondering what is stopping you from controlling the water flow in the chiller? Seems like that would be the best option. What type of connection are you using for your water inlet on the chiller?

Wondering what is stopping you from controlling the water flow in the chiller? Seems like that would be the best option. What type of connection are you using for your water inlet on the chiller?
Just screwing on a hose. At some point, I can get a ball valve to put inline - just don't currently have that in the setup. Once I do, yeah, some trial and error with just plain water (costs basically nothing), and I can probably get my chill rate dialed in.

On my other thread, the suggestion was also to chill part of the wort and just use some math to work out the amounts. Altogether, engaging my brain is always a good thing, and that's likely to put me in the best situation of my three options.

I'm sure there are calculators online for how much of 2 lots of water you would need to get the right temp

This is what I use on my CFC to control the water intake speed. It's <$10 and should be available at a HD near you. Quick, cheap, and easy. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-Metal-Hose-Shut-Off-395S/203136689

images

Back