Chiller in conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynxpilot

Reaction score
I'm planning on adding a second fermenter to the inventory. The first one is the GF with built-in cooling jacket and controller. My chiller is supposed to be able to handle 4 units. I'd like to add another stainless conical. I was thinking about drilling the sides and welding in a stainless wort chiller coil. Would there be a problem with this that I'm not considering?

I realize cleaning would be more difficult, but very much more?

I'm planning on adding a second fermenter to the inventory. The first one is the GF with built-in cooling jacket and controller. My chiller is supposed to be able to handle 4 units. I'd like to add another stainless conical. I was thinking about drilling the sides and welding in a stainless wort chiller coil. Would there be a problem with this that I'm not considering?

I realize cleaning would be more difficult, but very much more?

Welcome @Lynxpilot

Curious why you would want to do this. There are lots of conical fermentors on the market now that have integrated chilling coil at least available as an options. All of the ones I am aware of are removable from the fermentor for cleaning.

The question about how hard would it be to clean if welded in place would depend on the design of the fermentor...probably easier if you can get the whole top off and really get down in there with a scrub brush and see everything from multiple angles. But would also depend on the quality of the sanitary weld.

The one I have is a Grainfather that is double-wall with coolant channels between the walls. Very convenient but pricey though. Looking at something I can capitalize on having chiller capacity but less expensive. I have a stainless wort chiller that came with my brew kettle but also have a copper coil I can use for hot side. TIG welding, grinding, and polishing is no problem for me. The only stainless conicals I can find with cooling options are through-lid type, and the ones with that option are expensive. My only investment thus far for fermenter #2 is Inkbird controller, wire, and connector to feed the chiller control so still open to suggestions on fermenter itself. Would also plan on welding in a thermowell for the controller temperature sensor.

The chronical went through the side, but was weldless. I'm sure someone should be able to answer how difficult it is to clean with it in place.

1621966648861.png

What capacity are you looking for and what's your budget level?? Since 'expensive' to one person is not the same as another, especially around here.

I like how the chill coil in my CF10's (Spike) are through the lid. Means IF I don't want to use them I can easily remove them. Also if I need to do a better cleaning than CIP does, I can easily remove for that too. My total spend for each of the CF10's was less than I've seen for similar/same sized jacketed conicals.

I was eyeing the Anvil conical 14 gallon. $325 (probably some shipping on top of that). I pretty much have everything else to get a coil in it. With my circumstances here (weather and equipment location) I don't see being able to not have a fermenter connected to a chiller.

I made my own coils out of 1/4" SS tubing so that I can ferment in 10 gallon cornies. I can't speak for the Crucible or compare how well it performs against your jacketed system or Spikes larger coil, but I can say that a small coil like that does seem get the job done.

Back