Chill Haze, how did my brew wind up with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
I brewed a no-sparge ale which came in at ~6.6 gallons in the fermenter with the following grist:

9 lbs. Swaen Pilsner
1 Lb. Weyermann Munich II
1 Lb. Briess 10L Caramel
1 Lb. Briess White Wheat malt
1 Lb. Briess Flaked Oats

OG = 1.051

Here are the things I suspect for the chill haze. Let me know which of these you think most likely caused the problem.

Suspected chill haze candidates:
1) WLP029 yeast
2) Very mild 60 minute boil with a low boil-off rate of only 0.72 gallons per hour
3) High Protein and/or Beta Glucans in the Flaked Oats
4) High Protein and/or Beta Glucans in the White Wheat malt
5) All of the above likely cumulatively added to the chill haze
6) Other

I cold crashed post fermentation, but I did not use gelatin. I added a Whirlfloc tablet with 15 minutes remaining in the boil. My first time for Whirlfloc. Until now I have been using Irish Moss.

1) Yeast plays no role in chill haze formation, so no.
2) Boiling plays no role either. Chill haze is due to polyphenols polimerising with short-chain water-soluble proteins in beer, you can't get rid of those no matter how strong and how long you boil as they will remain water-soluble no matter what.
3) Oats are a source of long-chain beta-glucans but those are responsible for increased viscosity and not chill haze.
4) Wheat malt is a source of proteins, usually more than barley malt but that doesn't necessarily mean they will cause chill-haze.
5) See above...
6) If it is indeed chill haze (does the beer become clear if warmed to room temperature?) then you simply have a sufficient amount of short-chain proteins and polyphenols to form chill haze at the appropriate temperature. Polyphenols will come from malt husks and hops, proteins from the malt itself regardless of what type of malt.

As for getting rid of it, barring use if fining agents such as PVP, your best course of action is either to store the beer cold for a long time until the haze sediments and clears itself or never to cool the beer at temperature low enough to cause chill haze to become visible.

The beer is completely clear at room temperature. Noticeable haze at ~40 degree refrigerator temperature.

If it matters, the water had a calculated 54 ppm of Ca++ in it.

Last edited:
The beer is completely clear at room temperature. Noticeable haze at ~40 degree refrigerator temperature.

If it matters, the water had a calculated 54 ppm of Ca++ in it.
Then it's definitely chill haze. And no, calcium plays no role in its formation either.

I had the same thing with a Pilsner. After about a week of refrigeration in the high 30's, they were clear.

I've got my inkbird regulated fridge set to 34 degrees and cooling down now. The beer is in bottles. I'll toss the cases in the fridge.

It's been at 33-34 degrees F. since May 24th, and the chill haze (when served at 40-45 degrees F.) is now almost completely gone. A few more days of cold lagering at this low temperature and I believe it will solve the chill haze problem completely. Thanks for the suggestion @ThenFalcon!

Back