Chilean Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phished880

Reaction score
Today I made a deposit for 6 gal of Chilean Carmenere, which i will pick up sometime in May. My next step was to begin to look at possible yeasts. This is where i'm at now.

Looking at Morebeer.com and there extensive yeast selection/descriptors, i leaning to blending 2 yeasts.
1. ICV-D21
2. VQ-15 Rockpile

Both seem to help build structure, which seems to be one of the complaints of these juice buckets.
I also have selected VQ-15 for its fruit forward characteristics.

My concern is that i've read or heard about wine yeast having a "combative" personality.

Does anyone have experience in this area? Will I have those problems with these two yeasts?

After I choose some yeast then i will move to my oak selection. If this is incorrect approach please guide me.
thanks

I'm far from a yeast expert, but I looked up both strains of yeast you chose and see something about both that I think might be worth considering. Both strains seem to be geared towards very heavy reds. Carmenere is generally a much lighter flavored wine. Closer to a pinot noir than a cab or syrah.

Are you going to do MLF? That might affect your primary yeast selection as well.

Thanks for the info about the juice, the info I'd found made it seem more like a merlot then pinot or syrah. I think I may go back to square one with this new info. That's the beauty of starting your homework early and having great feedback in these forums.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back