Chicago Homebrew shop- Barley and Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shopbarleyandhops

Reaction score
Hello all, we would just like to introduce ourselves to those of you who do not know about us. We have a homebrew shop in the south suburbs of Chicago, located right on Halsted St. in Glenwood, IL. We are Barley and Hops, a Craft beer specialty store that currently has over 300 different beers in stock. We recently ventured into the home brewing business, and are constantly expanding our homebrew shop. Just wanted to get the word out. We get new customers almost daily, and appreciate any feedback we recieve. Thanks for looking, and we hope all you locals come to check us out.

Whats up fellas, I'm the guy who borrowed your computer the other day to get my recipe off this site. Glad to see you guys here. Brew day tommorrow...prolly see you Thursday for more grain, gotta get the pipeline full again.
-Joe

I don't totally understand the etiquette of this website but I would have thought that if you advertise your business you had to be a "vendor" of the website. Therefore, give money and be checked by the website's originators. I could be wrong though.

I don't totally understand the etiquette of this website but I would have thought that if you advertise your business you had to be a "vendor" of the website. Therefore, give money and be checked by the website's originators. I could be wrong though.

I think a simple introduction is totally cool. Plus they are a B&M shop, no online sales. He didn't try to sell anything specific or even throw up a link to his site. relax.

Glad you guys are around. I've been to 2 other LHBS and I walked away feeling less than impressed. I got the best feeling about your place, plus it's the closest. Decent selection, competitive pricing. See you on Memorial Day.

They closed over the summer and have yet relocate/reopen. Looks like I'll be doing mailorder or Bev Art.

They were supposed to be moving to downtown Homewood, but I havent been over there to check it out. Facebook site hasnt had any updates in a while and their website is gone :(

Interesting story, and small world...I was shopping at the Trader Joe's in Orland Park today, and had an eclectic mix of beer, and a bottle of mead in my cart. Cashier says, "you're not a homebrewer, are you?" So I tell him yes, and he proceeds to tell me he used to be the manager of Barley and Hops. Apparently they changed ownership, and the new owner wanted to expand the brewing section, but he wasn't paying bills and ran it into the ground. Long story short, it's not coming back. The guy I talked to said he would open something similar if he could get the cash together.

Generally you have to pay bills to stay in business. I learned that in business school.

Sad story.

Interesting story, and small world...I was shopping at the Trader Joe's in Orland Park today, and had an eclectic mix of beer, and a bottle of mead in my cart. Cashier says, "you're not a homebrewer, are you?" So I tell him yes, and he proceeds to tell me he used to be the manager of Barley and Hops. Apparently they changed ownership, and the new owner wanted to expand the brewing section, but he wasn't paying bills and ran it into the ground. Long story short, it's not coming back. The guy I talked to said he would open something similar if he could get the cash together.

So which guy was it? The guy with the beard, Jay?

Back