chest freezer or upright for a fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komocabo

Reaction score
So it getting hot out... the indoor closet is just not cutting it and I decided that it's time to get a term chamber. I've already built an STC-1000 controller with a cold and hot three prong plug, so good to go.there. The question now is chest vs upright freezer.

I like the upright because I can build a shelf so I could have about 4 buckets or more and I wouldn't have to lift them out.

I like the chest because I can probably fit one more, BUT they take up more square ft.

Note: I already have a kegerator so not seeing the keeper route anytime soon. This is strictly for fermentation.

So, what do you use? Which would you prefer and why?

Thanks guys. Cheers!

Good points all around. Looking again at the garage/brewery, I am thinking upright cuz I am going go be scaling up size soon and it could mean easier handling.

I've used for fermentation (w/ STC-1000) in the following order: chest freezer (now my keezer), upright freezer (now my lagering/cold crash chamber), and currently a fridge (w/freezer on top).

I prefer the upright units. It's a lot easier getting full buckets in and out. I can also check gravity quickly and w/o disturbing the bucket via the Italian spigot I installed on the side.

Either way, you're going to see a marked improvement in your brews.

I like chest freezers. Mainly, I like the idea the the door is on the top. I keep them outdoors here in FL and I'm very conscious of the seals and energy efficiency. A horizontal freezer is going to be more efficient.

I'm with PP on this one and went horizontal for the same reason given where I live. That and I keep mine in the garage.

image.jpg

I have an upright refrigerator for fermenting. I like side access when I'm going to be moving full stuff in and out. I do have a keezer for serving, but, in that case, I only have to lift the corny over the collar and lower it down in. It won't be coming out again until it's empty and MUCH lighter. They all work, it's just what works best for you.

I just switched from a chest freezer to upright fridge, I like it much better. No more lifting in and out of chest freezer...didn't care for that. Plus it's easier to see the temperature on the temp strip on the side of the carboy with the upright. Make sure it's where it needs to be.

Thanks everyone! I went for the upright freezer. Its Very happy at 65°

Back