Chest freezer = kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
Should there be anything from keeping me from buying a 5.0 cubic ft. chest freezer (like my fermentation chamber) and drilling holes in the top to make a kegerator? Are there any gotchas? I've seen the chest freezers with collars, but is there any reason to no do it the "easy" way? Basically like the Sanyo kegerator but with a chest freezer. I haven't seen a pic of any yet though...only collared freezers...

It works fine, but most don't do it that way because whenever you open the lid, the tower will hit whatever is behind the freezer. If you back it up to a wall as most of us do, you have to pull it out every time you want to open it up. If you do decide to go this rout, reinforce the lid as they are pretty flimsy.

Mine is just a Magic Chef freezer I got at Home Depot. I drilled right through the top and put a three tap tower on it and it works great. Yes, if you have it near a wall you'll have to pull it away every time you want to open it, and that is a bit annoying, but I don't open it often enough for it to really bother me.

And yes, it doesn't look nearly as nice as one that's been done up with a collar,and fancy stained wood. If i had the skills I'd go that route. Maybe someday I'll try and build one like that, but for now I have a highly functional kegerator that has been running fine for just about two years now!

Back