Chest Freezer Fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweidman

Reaction score
Hey guys so i recently got a chest freezer to make a Keezer, but im gonna use it to ferment in also for know at least, but i have a few questions.

1.) do i use my dual stage temp controller in a thermowell?

2.)should i put a heater in there so i can get teh temp around 66-70 degrees?
or should i just let the heat from the fermentation heat the chest freezer up?

if it makes a difference im gonna use a Keg to ferment in.

thanks guys for the help.

Will it be indoors or out? If it is indoors you will only need to be chilling the ferment most likely. I use 2 different fermentors in mine and the plastic speidel I just tape the probe to the side with some insulation and the other is a SS conical that has a thermowell. I have seen no difference in performance with either method. I think some people using dual stage temp controllers use reptile heaters or something in there.

Like above, I tape the probe on the side of the carboy with pipe insulation over top. I use either a Fermwrap or a seedling heat mat to provide heat. I keep my freezers indoors and do not always need to provide heat, but keep a heat source ready for when I need it. You should put a fan inside the freezer to prevent temperature stratification. I use a CPU fan and run it all the time.

I also put my temperature probe on the side of the carboy, and insulate it. On my last batch though, I put the probe in a one gallon jug next to the carboy. Although the respective thermal masses are different, I'm not sure if the temperature fluctuations between the beer in the carboy and the water in the jug are that significant, once the temperature in each has stabilized. I use a STC-1000 and don't open the freezer more than once a week. Perhaps someone better versed in the physics at work here could weigh in?

This system has worked well for me but I'm going to make a change soon. I'm planning on brewing lagers during the next year and I've been mulling around some options for the future. I've decided to reserve brewing for the months where the ambient room temperature in my garage is less than 50F. To that end I'm going to purchase some inexpensive (or broken) refrigerators so that I can use the insulated box as a fermentation chamber with a small ceramic reptile bulb as a heating source, and dial in my set-point at 45F.

I also put my temperature probe on the side of the carboy, and insulate it. On my last batch though, I put the probe in a one gallon jug next to the carboy. Although the respective thermal masses are different, I'm not sure if the temperature fluctuations between the beer in the carboy and the water in the jug are that significant, once the temperature in each has stabilized. I use a STC-1000 and don't open the freezer more than once a week. Perhaps someone better versed in the physics at work here could weigh in?

Heat is released during biomass growth, so the temperature of the fermenting wort will rise significantly during vigorous fermentation, while a jug of water will only rise to the ambient air temperature within the freezer. If you use a jug of tap water to regulate temperature, the wort temperature will actually be higher (likely significantly higher) than the temperature of the tap water during the critical phases of fermentation. I would suggest keeping the probe taped to the fermenter.

Heat is released during biomass growth, so the temperature of the fermenting wort will rise significantly during vigorous fermentation, while a jug of water will only rise to the ambient air temperature within the freezer. If you use a jug of tap water to regulate temperature, the wort temperature will actually be higher (likely significantly higher) than the temperature of the tap water during the critical phases of fermentation. I would suggest keeping the probe taped to the fermenter.

ok so what if the fermenter is a Metal Keg? would taping the probe on the side, work the same way as a plastic carboy or glass one ???

ok so what if the fermenter is a Metal Keg? would taping the probe on the side, work the same way as a plastic carboy or glass one ???

Yes, same general concept. The only reason to use a thermowell, in my opinion, would be (1) in a very large fermenter, where the temperature on the periphery of the tank may be much lower than the center, or (2) when the outside of the fermenter is insulated, so that changes in temperature inside the fermenter will not be seen on the outer surface for some time.

Yes, same general concept. The only reason to use a thermowell, in my opinion, would be (1) in a very large fermenter, where the temperature on the periphery of the tank may be much lower than the center, or (2) when the outside of the fermenter is insulated, so that changes in temperature inside the fermenter will not be seen on the outer surface for some time.

awesome sauce....

i have also see or i should say read, that some people use a coating around the fermentor and mash tun (typically silver) what is that and is it something i should invest in?

That could happen, but when you look at fermenting beer it moves around alot so the temperture of thw fermentis going to remain pretty consistent in different parts of the tank. I wouldnt feel the least bit bad about just attaching to the side.

awesome sauce....

i have also see or i should say read, that some people use a coating around the fermentor and mash tun (typically silver) what is that and is it something i should invest in?

I think you're talking about Reflectix bubble-wrap insulation. People wrap metal mash tuns in it to keep the kettle from losing temperature as fast. I wouldn't put it on my fermenter if it was in a freezer. It will melt, so not for use on a direct-fired mash tun.

Latest posts

Back