Chest freezer cord to lid,do i need it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOGAN

Reaction score
Well it has been awhile since i posted but i finaly got myself a chest freezer.Found a steal on CL and had to take it,although the steal was a 1991 Kenmore.The problem i have is when i purchased it i was so excited about painting and adding a collar that i failed to recognize a cord that runs to the lid.This cord could limit the height of my collar and i wonder if i could just cut it and pig tail the end?I assume it only runs a small light in front on the lid but with my luck i would cut it and then regret it.

It is most likely for the light - but it would be better not to just cut it, better to properly disconnect it.
It is not difficult to pull the liner and insulation out of the lid and see what's up - then disconnect if it's only a light. But be sure to tape off each strand of the wire separately so they don't short.

Ours had one as well you could always splice in some extra wire. It is most likely for a light in the lid or and/or an indicator lamp. Ours was for both and we spliced some extra wire in and reused both the light and the power indicator lamp. Also, ours had a connector inside the compressor compartment, if yours does as well i would recommend just disconnecting it opposed to cutting it.

May be a bonehead question but should I also tape and tail the ground or leave it untaped? Already did the hot and neutral.

Decided to not cap the cord off.Waiting for radioshack to open up and then I am just going to get some solder and shrink tube.Already have a length of cord so next in line will be the collar.

Many responses already, and looks like you have a plan in place, so I'm just piling on at this point: Mine had the same deal, I cut and spliced in about a foot long extension, sealed up with wire nuts and electrical tape and added a further ground wire.

I'm setting my kegerator up using an 8.8cf kenmore. Used a 6 inch collar and the cord still was able to be reattached without modification.
Edit: used 2x6 for inner collar so actual added height 5.5 inches.

Many responses already, and looks like you have a plan in place, so I'm just piling on at this point: Mine had the same deal, I cut and spliced in about a foot long extension, sealed up with wire nuts and electrical tape and added a further ground wire.
What wire did you use? I’m about to have the same problem and the wire on the freezer has no markings to tell me size, or anything.

Back