Chest freezer converted to kegerators not lasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salmon1a

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've been using chest freezers converted to kegerators by bypassing the internal
thermostat using an external temperature controller for years. I've mostly used a Johnson Controls unit which has worked fine.

I'm now on my fifth unit in twenty years! The freezers just quit chilling with the compressor running constantly with very little or no chilling. I'm beginning to wonder if freezers used this way just don't last - in contrast, my family has an 40+ year old freezer (used as a freezer) that has been working fine to this day.

Any thoughts/experiences in this matter would be appreciated, thanks.

Just a little speculation here... I think it's due to running them warmer than designed, that keeps the evaporator lines wet. (they would normally be frosted) Causing oxidation and reduced life of the line, when the line develops a hole the freon leaks out and unit stops cooling.

I see this all the time on refrigerators that have evaporator coils in the food section. Most refrigerators have the evaporator in the freezer where they stay frosted over 99% of the time.

Thanks - I'm suspecting it's something along these lines since the compressor seems to be working fine just no cooling happening. I may have to go back to a large refrigerator or two.

Back