Chest Freezer Brainstorming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBrew

Reaction score
I hope you all don't get to pissed off about this thread, but here is the situation: I just got a hold of a 14.8 cu ft Frigidaire chest freezer. I am am planning on it housing 4-6 cornies and 1-2 carboys depending on my process at the time. I am up for doing modifications, but I am also ok with just keeping it at a solid 42.F and using a fermwrap from fermentation.

If you guys are game, I am up for anything from what you guys think are crucial modifications, to fun things that I can get going (ie 4 taps and a coller). The reason I am posting this is that there are some things I am just not getting, like why some people are using fans to circulate the air (is this a must?) and some of the lines people are installing. Anyway, hope to hear some ideas!
:mug:

How about a collar then a ferm chamber on top of that with maybe cabinet doors. Your carboys go on top in the ferm chamber with a false bottom that comes out to put your kegs in. The false bottom could have fans rigged to a thermostat. (there's a thread somewhere on HBT about using a regular ac thermostat somewhere) You only need to get to 65F.

Fans are needed in the keezer compartment because in hot areas like Texas, my taps and the difference in temp of the beer is huge. I use a fan aimed at the tap from the inside. Believe it or not this help. Of course my keezer is outside.

@Jesse- this is a little involved for my current schedule, but this idea of a separate chamber as @Monster Mash also mentioned intrigues me, esp if I expand my throughput. Is there a thread about adding shelving inside for bottle storage? This is something I have been intrigued by.

Well, its actually the same idea, except my idea is ferm chamber sitting on top and the other idea is ferm chamber on the side. Really it all depends on your space requirements. Good luck though.

if you don't use a fan, the cold "sinks" and if your probe is in the middle, set to 38, the bottom might actually get to 28. Frozen beer. Hard to draw out of a keg. The fan keeps temp stratification from occurring and uses very little electricity.

Latest posts

Back