Chemical Flavor in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsconsin81

Reaction score
I absolutely cannot stand it anymore. Every time I've made a batch of beer and have kegged in my pre-used Pepsi Corney Kegs my beer tastes like that sweet chemical smell that I've tried so hard to get rid of. I've taken off the posts and immersed everything in cleaning solution. I've cleaned the kegs multiple times every time I'm about ready to keg. Nothing has worked!

Please, someone let me know if they have a sure-fire way to get rid of that chemical flavor/smell. I feel like any batch of beer that I make tastes like the chemical that was previously in the keg. Please let me know!

What are you using to clean them? I've never used it, but I hear a lot about oxyclean on these forums. Might do the trick. This is why I won't buy kegs online. I have to personally inspect them and make sure they weren't used for any dark colas.

To be more specific, Oxyclean Free is what you're looking for, if you haven't already tried it.

Ok, so how much Oxyclean Free would be used when I clean my keg? Also, would I just leave it in the keg overnight, or does it work to just clean everything at once. I worry about the used kegs because I don't know where I need to clean to get rid of the chemical smell. I try to remove the posts, and soak everything in BLC, but still seem to get the same chemical flavors. I just hope that Oxyclean Free will get rid of the chemical smell altogether.

Not to say this is the only way to do it, but it works for me.

I'd give it one scoop and fill the keg up about 75% of the way, add Oxyclean and shake the crap out of it. Then, fill it the rest of the way up and leave it overnight.

Have you replaced the o-rings on it, by chance?

After cleaning with Oxyclean, remember that you still have to sanitize, as well.

+1 The o-rings often hold the smell and taste no matter how much you clean the keg. Take the big o-ring off and smell it. If you have not replaced them do that. If you do not have replacements do some searches, they can be bought at several different places and I haven't checked prices in a while.

Alsoas other have said let the keg soak with oxiclean solution in it, but this won't address the o-rings.

I was thinking of the o-rings too. You can buy the dip tube and QD o-rings at Home Deplorable or Lowes. The lid o-ring is tougher to find, but your LHBS should have them. The poppets have a small amount of rubber that could possibly hold the smell, but they're small enough that you may not even notice.

Good points all! Yeah, I probably do need to replace the O-rings as well (I'm assuming you're referring to the rings that are on the dip tube and gas line tube on the posts, or are you talking about the rings on the posts themselves? Also, the keg I'm referring to still has the original lid, so it may be time to invest in a new one, which will have a new ring for that as well. After all that, I can do the Oxyclean Free soak (and then sanitize of course).

You can keep the lid, all you need is the o-ring. And yes, the dip tubes, both gas and liquid, have o-rings that should be replaced. The quick disconnects have o-rings on the outside, so they may not need replacing. But if you go to Lowes, you can buy a pack of 10 for a couple bucks. Well worth the investment.

Every Corny i Have got Before i use them.. Replaced all O Rings and cleaned with PBW.. If they were real Nasty i would let the keg sit overnight with a Heavy dose of PBW and I have never had a problem..

As far as cleaning between batched i do the same.. clean with PBW and rinse well and Sanitize with Star San.. I take everything apart and apply a small amount of keg lube to the O Rings..

I had a keg like that only it stank of Mountain Dew. I cleaned and soaked it for months in oxy. Nothing. Someone here told my to try baking soda. I soaked it for a week in soda/water and the smell finally was gone.

Back