Cheese Salt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitty

Reaction score
I noticed a post from someone about cheese salt, though this is clearly a brewing site. However, I have the same question: what is cheese salt and what can I use instead. Please feel free to direct me to someplace appropriate, if needed. Thanks.

this is from a quick google search:

cheese salt
This salt melts easily and contains no iodine. Iodine will kill the lactic bacteria in the aging process and it is the lactic bacteria that is important to the proper aging of cheese.

What we are looking for in "Cheese Salt" is one that will not dissolve too quickly or slowly.
If a fine grain salt is used it will dissolve very quickly creating a very high brine content near the curd surface and impede the movement of salt into the cheese.
If too coarse a grain it will dissolve too slowly and not control the culture bacteria activity.

Take my advice for what's it's worth, I've never made any cheese. I was reading about it and somebody was saying that maybe Kosher salt could be used? Maybe someone with more experience could confirm.

Kosher has always been fine. . So far as I've seen. I typically buy blue diamond( or something that sounds like that ). . When salt has iodine, it typically says so. Maybe it was noted above, (I can't see when I type from my phone).. but pickling salt is good too. Same/ same.

Back