checking temperature in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Just curious how everyone checks their temperature while fermenting in a primary bucket?

I have a thermometer in my kitchen where I keep them but is there a way to get a better reading seeing that temps can increase quite a bit during fermentation.

I was thinking of those stick on strip thermometers you use on fish tanks. Are those accurate against the plastic bucket?

Any other ways?

Those stick on thermometers will work. I would suggest covering them with clear packing tape so they last longer and it makes cleaning the fermeneter easier to clean. Thermowell stoppers would allow you to take an almost direct temp, without opening up your bucket.

I have my temp controller taped to the side of my carboy with insulation on the outside and it works pretty good.

I tape the sensor for my digital temp controller to the side of the bucket and then cover it with bubble wrap to insulate it.

thanks for the replies guys (heh heh, that rhymes). I think I'll go ahead and start with the temp strip for now. I just wasn't sure how accurate it was vs picking up the outside room temps.

Back