Checking in from South NJ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max4677

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about 2 years now when I was presented with the option of going to a burlesque show (with her of course!) or buying a homebrew kit from my local brew store. Since then I have become much more involved in yeast by-products. I am a member of the Gloucester County Homebrewers and frequent many a beerfest in the general Philadelphia area. So if you go to one and see a fairly tall guy in a green hoppy hat say hi.

I make everything from browns to blacks to jalepeno IPAs. I also make wines both in kit form and straight fruit wines (just bottled a nice raspberry wine yesterday in fact). Meads are also something I dabble in.

I'm in the process of building a kegging system and that's how I ended up here.

Cheers!

I just finished boiling up a Chipotle Irish Red. Its a total experiment, so I don't know how it will be yet, but I'll let the board know.

I'd love to hear about your Jalepeno IPA though.

And welcome to HBT.

Chipotle, Jalepeno? That sounds like it might be really good. I have always wondered if a brew like that would work. I'm inspired to hear that others have tried this and I might give it a go myself now. Welcome to HBT.

Hop head, Chili head, caffeine addict (i roast coffee too), its all good.

I can mix the coffee with a porter or a stout, so why not mix the fire with a red ale? Mine is 3 weeks from being drinkable, but I'm still an optimist. If its any good I'll post it.

BTW, an ice cream shop near me serves a Mad Dog Mango sherbet, Mango sherbet with a ton of habanero heat. Its so wrong... Ice cold sherbet causing so much heat. So much so that I can't stop eating it. So the ice cream shop is partly to blame for this as well.

max4677 said:
I've been brewing for about 2 years now when I was presented with the option of going to a burlesque show (with her of course!) or buying a homebrew kit from my local brew store. Since then I have become much more involved in yeast by-products. I am a member of the Gloucester County Homebrewers and frequent many a beerfest in the general Philadelphia area. So if you go to one and see a fairly tall guy in a green hoppy hat say hi.

I make everything from browns to blacks to jalepeno IPAs. I also make wines both in kit form and straight fruit wines (just bottled a nice raspberry wine yesterday in fact). Meads are also something I dabble in.

I'm in the process of building a kegging system and that's how I ended up here.

Cheers!

Once you go to kegs you will see a great improvement in your free time. You can get 6 to 8 of them into large refrigerators and have them all on tap or just some of them. I use 20 LB CO2 bottles as I don't have to get them refilled much. A chest freezer is best for fermenting and aging as they have lots of room (floor space). Use a Ranco controller to hold your temps.

I've made it twice. I basically just used Northerbrewer.com's Chinook IPA recipe. The first time I did it I used a whole chile (quartered and seeded) per 12 oz bottle. Great the first week after conditioning. Then it got HOT (and I like hot stuff). This time I used about 3/4 a chile per 1.5L and it was much better.

To clarify I would put the actual chile in the bottle while filling, not in a fermenter.

max4677 said:
To clarify I would put the actual chile in the bottle while filling, not in a fermenter.

Oh I like that idea. Nice presentation.
Thats a lot of heat for one bottle though.

Yeah, that's why I cut back to a 1/4 chile per 12oz the second time. The perfect match seemed to be 3/4 chile in a 1.5L Grolsch bottle. :)

Back