Checking for CO2 Leak in used corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TR6

Reaction score
So I bought a used keg a few years ago, used it once but had to really slather on the keg lube to prevent it from leaking. I set it aside after that experience. My other two kegs were purchased new and work fine. So I decided to replace the pressure relief valve and buy an o-ring kit for the used keg and try it again yesterday. I have a batch that I am ready to keg but I don't want to waste good beer... After replacing o-rings, I filled the keg with starsan solution, since I need to sanitize it anyway. sealed it and gave it a blast of 30 psi yesterday and unhooked. used a starsan solution to check for leaks, no leaks. Left it over night and checked it this morning with the pressure relieve valve (prv) - no pressure. So I greased the lid o-ring and pressurized it again. released the gas with the prv, and then repressurized it to 30 unhooked it.

Checked the seals with soap solution, no apparent leaks, then turned it upside down on my concrete floor for an hour - no apparent leaks of contents. Left it for another hour and pulled the prv, no pressure.

Given that this has a water based starsan solution in it, is this normal behavior? I woudn't think the solution should asborb the blast of CO2 that quickly (within a couple hours) that there would be no pressure released when I open the prv. I now have it hooked up to the gas line with the pressure set at 30 and will leave it for a bit to see if that helps. comments? suggestions?

leave it upside down and see if there is a puddle, troubleshoot from there.

How cold is it where you are leaving the keg?
Checked the seals with soap solution, no apparent leaks, then turned it upside down on my concrete floor for an hour - no apparent leaks of contents. Left it for another hour and pulled the prv, no pressure.

No puddle

its about 60 degrees F.

I would suspect either the gas or liquid post first, then the PRV second. Slow leaks are difficult to detect, If you can submerge it in water it makes it easier to detect.

Given that this has a water based starsan solution in it, is this normal behavior? I woudn't think the solution should asborb the blast of CO2 that quickly (within a couple hours) that there would be no pressure released when I open the prv.
Depends on how big a headspace you left.
If it's pretty much filled to the brim there's not much CO2 in there.

just to end this thread. Keg seems to be holding now that beer is fully carb'ed and pressurized to serving pressure. Thanks guys!

Back