Check these pix and then tell me...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer

Reaction score
Please check pix and tell me if its anything to worry about. This originally was a 3 gal batch from fresh juice I froze last season (Oct) and thawed this May 30th; added 3 campden tablets, waited a couple days, pitched Nottingham, and added 1.5 tsp pectic enzyme. Racked to secondary 6/26/14 with S.G. .998...secondary was (2) one gal carboys and (1) half gal carboy, so there was almost no headspace, as you can see, and it smelled great. Now in August there is a little white substance floating on the top of one of the gal carboys; almost nothing on the other two carboys. Does not look like a yeast film or mold, looks more like particles of something, but I can't really tell. Anyone know what this might be and if I should be concerned? Many thanks. :mug:

IMG-20140814-00103.jpg

IMG-20140814-00104.jpg

IMG-20140814-00106.jpg

Did you dissolve the campden tablet in a little water before you added it to the must, or did you just crush it & add it as a dry powder? If you added it dry, it might be bits of undissolved campden tablet.

I just crushed them and added to the juice. Wouldn't they have dissolved by this time? But you are right, they sort of look like that.

Does k-meta dissolve easily in alcohol? I think you really need to dissolve K-meta (Campden tabs) in water and then add the water and k-meta mix to the alcohol.

Campden should be crushed & then dissolved in a bit of warm water, you have to slosh it around in the water a bit, or it won't all dissolve. I use a ziploc bag to contain the campden tabs & a rubber mallet to crush them, then I pour some warm water into the bag, zip it & shake it around & use my fingers to squeeze any undissolved bits so they dissolve. I'll bet the stuff you're seeing is just undissolved bits of campden tabs, nothing to worry about.
Regards, GF.

Campden should be crushed & then dissolved in a bit of warm water, you have to slosh it around in the water a bit, or it won't all dissolve. I use a ziploc bag to contain the campden tabs & a rubber mallet to crush them, then I pour some warm water into the bag, zip it & shake it around & use my fingers to squeeze any undissolved bits so they dissolve. I'll bet the stuff you're seeing is just undissolved bits of campden tabs, nothing to worry about.
Regards, GF.

Good idea with the baggie and water trick - Im gona steal this idea from you lol.

Latest posts

Back