Check my recipe please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMeister

Reaction score
I came up with this recipe and everything looked fine:

4lbs LME Wheat
2lbs DME Wheat
1.5oz Haullertaur (60mins)
1oz Tetnanger (5mins)
Wyeast #3068

Boil in 3 gals

My problem is the O.G. should be 1.075ish with my calculations, but I came out with 1.045. Also, my primary fermenter for this wort is a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket yet I only brewed 5 gallons. My wort I think is fermenting, has lots of topside activity (foam and such) yet my fermentation lock is not popping. It has been 12 hours, is this because the amount of space (1.5 gallons) and the CO2 needs to build up? My ale I did last time was going crazy after about 1 hour (5 gallon bucket for 5 gallon boil though).

1) Does my recipe look good for a wheat?
2) Is my wort ok?

Thank you so much!:confused: :(

BrewMeister said:
My problem is the O.G. should be 1.075ish with my calculations, but I came out with 1.045.

That calculates to about 1.047 by me--definitely not 1.075.

(But 1.075 would be a very high starting gravity for a weizen.)

Sounds like everything is fine if it's only been 12 hours. Did you use a starter with your yeast, or pitch it directly?

i got an o.g. of 1.046 which is pretty good id say(4x35=140+2x45=90=230/5=46)

i think the confusion is you should have got an o.g. of 1.076 with 3 gallons which is what you get (4x35=140=2x45=90=230/3=76)

when you calculate ,devide by the number of gallons you are going to end up with (i.e. 5)

you boiled a 1.076 og wort and added 2 or so gallons bringing the og down to 1.046

Kai said:
Is this a typo, or are you using only wheat?

I guess that it works for an extract recipe. For AG I'd say no.

Kai

The wheat extracts are typically about 55% malted wheat and 45% malted barley, I think.

Sorry it's taken me a while, I've been away on business. Yes, it's an extract. The OG thing is good. The airlock never bubbled but through the plastic I can see alot of activity!!! Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Back