Cheapest way to get into Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spitfire9703

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have been reading and researching for a little bit about kegging and had a couple questions.

I see most people here build a keggerator or Keezer to store and cool their kegs. I have a old chest freezer at my disposal but I wont be able to convert it to a keezer till this summer when my roommate graduates. I live in a cold climate and was wondering if for the time being just clearing a spot out in the basement, which is about 45 degrees, and keeping a keg down there would be kosher. For now I plan to just use a picnic tap and getting a CO2 bottle and regulator. Is there anything else that would be necessary? I am getting a corny keg from a friend for cheap this weekend but don't know for sure what he has with it.

Maybe this thread is premature, but i am excited to keg my beer.

I love this hobby :mug:

If it stays at 45 degrees, that will probably work just fine. I keep my beer at about 40 with a temp controller, but definitely enjoy it more as it warms up a bit. You could always get a cheap camp cooler or something and add some ice bags or blocks every few days if you wanted to keep it colder. Check out Craigslist or the newspaper for an old dorm refrigerator that holds a keg or two as well.

I just posted on our university forums looking for a small mini fridge that would fit a couple kegs. I was thinking that i would use a clean growler to grab some beer and then throw it in the fridge to get it a little cooler and then drink. Hopefully it wouldn't stay this way long, just making sure i wouldn't run into any troubles.

I just bought a Keggerator on Craigslist 2 days ago for less than the price of kits. Has Perlick taps (2) a Perlick regulator, 5lb CO2 tank, I cleaned the hoses, will get a splitter and hook up the ball locks... the fridge and freezer were free if you want to think of it that way... YMMV. Now I just need to get my kegs. and brew some beer.

Back