cheapest grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesignatedDecoy

Reaction score
I decided to take the AG plunge. I have my grain, no grain-mill, and minimal cash.

I'm trying to look it up, but am overwhelmed by all of the info, threads, DIYs, etc. Could someone point me in the right direction? I would like the cheapest grain mill that will mill my grain. An amazon link would be awesome, but I'm not opposed to a DIY project. I like DIY, as long as the raw materials are easily accessible.

As always, I greatly appreciate the help.:fro:

Corona Corn Mill is probably the cheapest (tried and true) route.

I got mine for something like $24 off Amazon. I waited until I got free shipping by bundling with some other purchases.

Two buckets and a piece of 2x4 later and I have a grain mill.

Inspired by this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f256/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

coronamill.jpg

I use the Corona, too. It's well suited for BIAB where a fine crush is desired... I suspect it might make a bit too much flour for 3 vessel brewers, but it works great for me.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000U5NZ4I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

How about this one? Same thing just not a Corona brand right? So this should be fine?

Yes, they are all basically the same. Just go through the thread listed above. There are a few minor adjustments that make them work better. I remember buying a couple little parts - washer and o-ring, maybe? - it was so long ago I don't remember exactly what I added and why, but the adjustments are mentioned in several threads.

Edit: Here is revvy's post on the washers: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f256/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/index2.html#post981037

and wilserbrewers on a drill setup (you want a drill): https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f256/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/index3.html#post981526

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they are all basically the same. Just go through the thread listed above. There are a few minor adjustments that make them work better. I remember buying a couple little parts - washer and o-ring, maybe? - it was so long ago I don't remember exactly what I added and why, but the adjustments are mentioned in several threads.

Awesome thanks so much. I'm reading it now.

Yes, that one is fine. I did not have to make any mods to mine. Just tightened the wing nuts and started crushing.

I use a 10 gal igloo cooler mash tun with a braided stainless steel hose and have only had one stuck sparge. A quick puff of air back up the drain hose and it started running again fine.

Some people have mentioned that the Corona style mill spits grain pieces out where they miss the bucket. Some people have used an empty coffee container cut to slip over the mill so the grain coming out the top is redirected back down. I slip a gallon ziplok bag over the milling plates and hold it in place with a couple clothespins. One full hopper on the mill makes just about the right amount in the ziplok so I can pick it up with one hand without spilling it and dump it into the water while stirring the grains in with my wire whisk.

Some people have mentioned that the Corona style mill spits grain pieces out where they miss the bucket. Some people have used an empty coffee container cut to slip over the mill so the grain coming out the top is redirected back down. I slip a gallon ziplok bag over the milling plates and hold it in place with a couple clothespins. One full hopper on the mill makes just about the right amount in the ziplok so I can pick it up with one hand without spilling it and dump it into the water while stirring the grains in with my wire whisk.

I've seen a coffee container on one. Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to do this.

Cheapest mill? The one you get to use at your local home brew shop for free.

Just use the one at the LHBS while you save for a decent quality mill.
You do not want pulverized / shredded grain husks, especially if you make light colored, low gravity beers; tannin extraction is a function of how the husks get treated as well as the combined effects of temperature and pH.

Save up until you have $99 for the Chinese made Cereal Killer; if a mill will enable you to switch to buying 50 lb sacks of malt, you WILL make up the costs rather quickly depending upon how often you brew and batch size.

I will avoid disparaging comments on using the Corona-style mills for malt, but I would highly recommend getting pre-crushed grain until you can scrape together $99 for a proper roller mill.

Adam

I'm going to echo the previous posts, since I have my own corona mill and it rocks through grain like a champ. And I would not be overly worried about husk issues, just make sure you test the grind on a few small runs of malt! My grain is coming out perfect now as I'm sure it is for anyone who's a proponent of these mills.

I use a Corona style mill. 85% eff. with BIAB. I just use a paper bag with a slit in the back over the apparatus, guides everything into the bucket. Highly recommended. I also didn't modify it more than putting a bolt at the end so I can use my drill.

No mods on my corona either. FYI, you can also order one thru Walmart, free shipping if to store, and build one out of the two. Then return to the store. Not that I would ever do such a thing!

I hate my cheap Corona mill. I'd trade it for a six pack of....Corona. I don't even use it anymore.

Yep, like beating a nail in with a wrench. Technically you can do it. If you've never used anything else of course it "works fine", but it's NOT designed for the job.

Adam

Ignoring the haters, I also thought to mention that you can make a hopper for a Corona with standard sized ducting available at Home Depot. I'm not at home so I can't see the size, but I use a straight piece into a register size piece and I can fit like 9 lbs in there easy. I've also seen folks use 5 gal water bottles with the bottoms cut off turned upside down, but I like the ducting because it stays in snugly without having to support it.

Ignoring the broke ass fools who use the piece of ****, you can get a real mill for twice the cost and have a real mill....forever. Buy grain precrushed till you can save enough allowance to get a real one

Ignoring the broke ass fools who use the piece of ****, you can get a real mill for twice the cost and have a real mill....forever. Buy grain precrushed till you can save enough allowance to get a real one

I see nothing wrong with using the Corona, many love them and use them for years milling 100s of pounds of grain just the way they like it. Since the OP is on a budget, I hope he got a whole sack of malt cheap somewhere, not paying $1.50 a pound at the Brew Store, at their mediocre coarse grind, giving him 60-65% efficiency.

Yes, for double the money he can get a bargain roller mill, which may or may not work well (you've seen the threads and complaints), and he would be better off spending another $50 and get a good one that will last a life time. That puts him at $150 now and let's assume way over his budget.

We got a cereal killer from Adventures and love it. Would highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ignoring the Corona haters. I have used my Corona Style mill for over 50 batches. I made very minor alterations, used some plastic to make a cover over the grinding plates and made a hopper from a plastic coffee container.

It works fine. I use a 3 tier system, my MLT has a water heater braid. I have never had any issue with the grind. I run a touch low on efficiency but it might not be due to the grind. It is consistent.

The hundred dollars saved went into buying grain and making BEER.

Added When I do upgrade I will probably go with a Monster Mill mm2 2.0 But will never regret going with the Corona in the mean time.

Only listen to the haters who have actually used both kind of mills. Otherwise it is all just opinions of people who haven't the experience to know any better.

Another cheapie mill to consider is a modified pasta roller, there are several threads on HBT that detail the mods needed. I used one of them to make a lot of beer, then I bought a Crankenstien mill. I like the real grain mill better, but the pasta roller worked well and it was cheap. I paid around $20 at a craft store, where they are used to roll out clay. Sometimes they can be picked up cheap at a second hand store as well.

Corona mill, water jug hopper, bucket 2x4 mount, harbor freight drill. I dont ever see myself upgrading from the system. Well under 100$ for a fully electric grain mill.
Even mounted into my brew stand and wired it into my control panel.
8fcwTUd.jpg

12PWj1R.jpg

And just toss a bag in your mashtun, you will never get a stuck sparge, you can crush crazy fine if you want and cleanup is a breeze, I have no idea why so many people choose not to do it.
ZzeVtF2.jpg

I used a Corona Mill in the beginning when I had a 3 tiered system in which I was getting efficiencies in the upper 70's. I did several modifications such as adding spacers and changing the pin to a screw and bolt. Like Poptarts I added a water bottle on top and also used a drill to crush the grain with. It worked great for several years until I decided to go with a single tier system and I up my grain crushing to a grain mill dedicated for brewing. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the corona mill and I sold it to another brewer wanting to crush their own grain.

Back