Cheap Store Bought Apple Juice Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRBrewer

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am kind of new beer brewer with a few batches under my belt and a couple kit cider batches complete as well.

I have read online about people doing cider out of store brand apple juice and wanted to try it.

I bought apple juice that said from concentrate and there are no preservatives listed. it says 100% apple juice in the ingredients list (besides saying reconstituted with filtered water). I also threw a can of 100% frozen apple juice. Once again it says it contains only apple juice and no preservatives.

I bought Nottingham yeast and put it all in the fermenter yesterday.

Normally my beer is showing fermentation starting by now but the cider is not doing anything. I am concerned that something is wrong. Granted I am only out about $8 for a 2 and 1/2 gallon batch so it is no big deal.

So any ideas or anyone have experience like this?

Thanks,

WR

If the yeast packet wasn't expired, just give it time. You honestly can't mess that stuff up, unless you heated it before pitching and didn't cool it enough. Temperature can play a role in how fast it takes off, so is you have it in a cool place, you could move it to a warmer spot.

my ciders are usually slow to start. i just keep swirling it every so often until it shows signs of life

I usually use the cheap stuff from Wally World. but once in a while if I find something different that looks good, I'll use that.

like one of my current batches (slow to start, still going after a couple weeks) was a cider from honey crisps.

I'll use almost anything, as long as it isn't labeled "organic"

I let the frozen can sit out on the counter until it was thawed. I would say the wort temp was in the low 60's when I pitched the yeast.

The yeast was a half packet I had used in a beer batch just 4 days prior (stored in the fridge) and that beer batch is fermenting fine.

My fermenter temp right now is showing about 69 degrees.

I really hope this turns out because my plan is to throw some hops in after a week for a hopped up cider.

I personally do not like ciders but my wife and neighbor drink them so that is the only reason I make cider.

Thanks for all your help.

I've done the same thing with good results. Only difference is I start the yeast in a growler half full with juice. I shake it every 6 hours and after 24 hrs. I can tell the yeast has started and I add it to the rest of the juice. Another 24 hrs. and it's bubbling away.

It would be best to add some yeast nutrient (in an amount roughly equivalent to what is required for wine). That will help speed up the fermentation and help to prevent any off-flavors.

Cider and beer ferments can be quite different. Cider requires more patience than does beer. I don't think about getting my cider out of the primary vessel until about three or four weeks into it. Then I'll dry hop or add some other herb to it while it settles out for another week or two in secondary.

I'll add yeast nutrient, too. About 1 tsp per gallon. If I didn't add yeast nutrient, I would expect my ferments to last even longer.

Cider and beer ferments can be quite different. Cider requires more patience than does beer. I don't think about getting my cider out of the primary vessel until about three or four weeks into it. Then I'll dry hop or add some other herb to it while it settles out for another week or two in secondary.

I'll add yeast nutrient, too. About 1 tsp per gallon. If I didn't add yeast nutrient, I would expect my ferments to last even longer.

100% agreed on all points.

In particular, yeast nutrient is important because fruit juice does not naturally contain the abundance of yeast nutrients that malted grains contain, so they will ferment very very slowly if you don't add enough yeast nutrient.

My last cider started fermenting about 12 hours after I pitched the yeast, but I had added both 1 tsp of yest nutrient per gallon and 1 capsule of Servomyces.

It would be best to add some yeast nutrient. That will help speed up the fermentation and help to prevent any off-flavors.

...If I didn't add yeast nutrient, I would expect my ferments to last even longer.

...yeast nutrient is important because fruit juice does not naturally contain the abundance of yeast nutrients that malted grains contain, so they will ferment very very slowly if you don't add enough yeast nutrient...

Speedy fermentation in cider is not good. I don't use yeast nutrients. The slower the better especially if you want to stop fermentation and retain some natural sweetness.

High fifties to low sixties fermentation temp with an appropriate yeast and patience is all it takes. :)

Two weeks in and the FG shows it to be done. I took a taste and it is not bad. Very dry which I expected.

This never did create a krausen but it obviously fermented so I guess it worked.

Since this was so cheap to make now I want to use this recipe to play around with and add some different flavors.

Back