Cheap refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belmont

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks similar to the ones that Austin Homebrew had a great sale on for about the same price in November. Tons of us bought them. I think it's the Though I'm not sure.

The one on eBay in the OP looks pretty much identical to the one I bought last year when I started AG brewing. It was about the same price, works great. It's in Brix, but I don't care about that....I just multiply X 4 in my head, gets me as close as I need to be.

my guess is the Hong Kong refracto's price is cheaper than LHBS because of inventory. They've got a ****load of them.

I bought one similar on ebay a year or so ago for the same price, and it works great

Looks very similar to mine, except I don't have an SG scale. Apart from the grain mill, it was the best investment I've made in brewing. Saved me a small fortune in replacing broken hydrometers.

-a.

I'm wondering how they came up with the °Brix-SG conversion. It looks like 30°Bx corresponds to ~1.117, but it should be 1.130, or 1.125 with a wort correction applied.

It seems like they may just have gone with "divide by 1.04, multiply by 4" in which case it isn't really accurate over maybe 15°Bx. Hopefully someone can set me straight.

Beyond that, I ordered my refractometer on eBay. I don't think it was the same seller, but I had no problems at all.

Well the fact that its only good for SG, and not FG makes it somewhat a gimmick if you ask me. Might as well just use brix and do the conversions when you need them.

Back