cheap pressure cookers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastybeasty

Reaction score
Hi -

Does anyone know whether a cheap pressure cooker (ie. $20-40) is suitable for yeast culturing? Any cheap ones I've seen don't have pressure guages and don't seem to indicate what pressure they get up to, etc. I'd prefer not to get botulism poisoning... I'm asking because I'm only mildly interested in yeast culturing and don't want to spend much $$$. Thanks for any info..

I use a small one and culture my frozen yeast. I can wort to be used later in starters.

Most pressure cookers come with weights that adjust the amount of pressure in the cooker. At most you'll get 15 PSI inside, which is OK to do most everything. I just leave wort in the pressure cooker @ 15 PSI for 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool on its own and when I open the cooker I have ready to use wort.

If you were looking to autoclave instruments then you need a sizeable cooker.

Something about the concept of a "cheap" pressure cooker scares me.

Spend a few more bucks, get a decent one, and use it in the kitchen too. That way it is easier to justify the cost, when you are using it to put dinner on the table faster and easier. Things like dried beans cook in a fraction of the time that it takes or a normal pot, and you can make great stock in one too.

Here is a chili recipe that looks awesome.

I am hoping to get a good one soon, and I plan on using it to can wort, but also want to go crazy with it in the kitchen.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has to be approved for pressure canning to be good enough for sterilization. Mine doesn't have a gauge either, but it is also labeled as a pressure canner. I don't know what I paid for it though.

Kai

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BYCFU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The presto 23 qt has a gauge and is only about $100. That's about the cheapest I've seen one with a gauge. If you watch eBay you can get them for a little less. You can also hit up flea markets and see if you can't find an old All American canner. Sometimes they can be had for cheap. Do realize, though, that the ones without a guage just use a weight to regulate pressure. It's not as if there's nothing keeping you at a given pressure. Don't forget, though, that a pressure canner can be used for a lot more than yeast culturing, and a good one will last a lifetime and then some. They're great for quick meals, too, and preserving food for convenience and emergencies.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll be fine with a Jasi from Canadian Tire. They go on sale all the time. Get the 9 quart and use it for a steam heated MLT. Get more bang for your buck.

Whatever that 9 quart usually cost, it was 40 or 50% off. Can't remember exactly, but I'm thinking $30-$35. CT runs a sale on them every other month, so watch the flyers.

Back