Cheap/Easy/1 Gallon Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muph

Reaction score
Making some Apfelwein and wanted to get some opinions, the correct yeast from Edwort's Apfelwein recipe is on the way but wanted to try some of this sooner and I had all but the apple juice already.

Steps:

I drilled 3 holes in a small plastic container to use as an airlock, washed my hands, sterilized the container.

I took the lid off the apple juice and poured ~6cups into a container, covered apple juice with piece of saran wrap.

Drilled a hole into the lid. Sterilized the lid connected the tube from the lid to the airlock. filled bottom ~1in airlock w/vodka (tube goes under the vodka level).

Poured ~6.4oz of Corn syrup in the bottle of apple juice, put saran wrap on, placed my hand firmly on saran wrap, shook, turned upside down, shook.

Poured in yeast. Repeated shaking technique.

Poured in remaining apple juice, leaving 3/4in at the top.

Capped w/modified cap/airlock

1 Gallon Treetop Apple Juice
1 tsp Hodgson Mill Active Dry Yeast
(activated w/2 tbsp of cane sugar + 1 cup warm water mix before adding)
~6.4oz Corn Syrup

2d760

I'll be trying the real recipe soon..
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts-apfelwein-33986/

I've been keeping this in dark, is this necessary? Any tips or helpful observations are appreciated.

Google says your yeast is for baking. I've never used Hodgson Mill, but I have used Fleischmann's, and if your results are anything like mine the only advice I'd give is "don't give up til you've tried it with the recommended yeast" :(

Keeping it out of direct sunlight is important. UV light kills microorganisms handily.

Google says your yeast is for baking. I've never used Hodgson Mill, but I have used Fleischmann's, and if your results are anything like mine the only advice I'd give is "don't give up til you've tried it with the recommended yeast" :(

Keeping it out of direct sunlight is important. UV light kills microorganisms handily.

Cool thanks, esp on the info about sunlight. Yeah, I have the recommended yeast on the way.. Read it can make a big difference on abv, taste, etc.. Also read bakers yeast can be used pretty successfully if activated before mixing (really crappy if not). I'll def post either way it turns out.

drank some of this yesterday, came out pretty bomb!

I've made apfelwein with this yeast before. It's kinda disgusting. Drinkable. But not tasty.

How long was this left to ferment? If you're drinking it after one day, I've got news for you. It's closer to apple juice than it is to wine.

I've made apfelwein with this yeast before. It's kinda disgusting. Drinkable. But not tasty.

How long was this left to ferment? If you're drinking it after one day, I've got news for you. It's closer to apple juice than it is to wine.

Looks like a month between the "I just mixed this as so" and "just had my first taste" posts :mug:

I will admit that I have never had anything, ever, suck up sugars poop out and clear as fast as fleischmanns. It could well be that it ages faster too :)

Hmm...Interesting.

What was your FG? I'm guessing a good deal above 1.000?

Wasn't using a hydrometer for this one, got me drunk just as fast though as the other method (10oz start feeling a good buzz)

Latest posts

Back