Cheap and simple sight gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndinh

Reaction score
I wanted to gauge my water volume in my HLT and wanted to make something super simple and something that, if I were to mess up, I wouldn't destroy an expensive SS kettle. There are a few options that people are using such as drilling for a weldless fitting, 9V+vinegar to make markings, etc. I definitely didn't want to drill my kettle (and didn't want to buy a step bit) and I even tried the vinegar method and of course, it turned out crappy...unlike all the nice ones posted here. So, I just made a sight gauge but instead of having it outside the kettle, I stuck it inside. Here is the parts list:
1. Polycarbonate tubing 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD from McMaster= $3.46
2. 1/2" copper strap from HD (bag of 5 but you only need 1)= $2.27
3. 2-3" of 1/2" copper pipe or 1/2" copper coupler from HD= $0.50 to $8.98
4. Food grade clear silicon for BBQ, up to 450F from amazon= $6.95+shipping

Since I already had a 1/2" copper pipe lying around, I didn't have to buy it and all I did was use the silicon to attach the copper pipe to the copper strap and attach those to my kettle. The silicon is claimed to be food grade and I know people that have used it to seal valves in their kettle and MLT but since this will be above the water line, I'm not too worried. I, then, cut the polycarbonate tube down to size (depending on your kettle) and cut an angle on the bottom so water can easily move in and out. After, measuring my gallon marks, I just used a pipe cutter to make shallow lines indicating where my volume would be. This, obviously, came out a little too light to really see. I think it'll work but it would be nice to somehow, make darker markings. I just slid the tubing in the copper so I can remove it for cleaning if I needed to. As you can see, my kettle actual came with volume lines(5gal on) but these were over 1/2gal off for my setup. Like I mentioned earlier, this is for the person that wants something quick and easy, not a professional job or have multiple tools and skills. Also, if you were to change kettles down the line, you can easily just remove this setup. Hope this can help someone out there and if anyone has a better way of making volume markings, let me know.

018d28bcafed20d3e21ef91a25b60cfe2e07d7bb98.jpg

01ed94e7666994165d9052385cf879269718b28ebb.jpg

014e1a4d15f6313ab6c9ff584f542f071808b749dd.jpg

01a458b6f2db51c2f02c89152b5faabc7895d8f2a2.jpg

Maybe I am missing something, but why would you want a sight glass inside the kettle? You already have the number markings on the side of the kettle. What does the sight glass add?

-
Craig

Maybe I am missing something, but why would you want a sight glass inside the kettle? You already have the number markings on the side of the kettle. What does the sight glass add?

-
Craig

Hey Craig,
I know it looks redundant but the markings on the kettle only go as far down as 5 gallons. Since I batch sparge, I sometimes like to know how much I'm adding each time. Ultimately, I may go ahead and drill out a hole and use a weldless sight gauge but for now, I didn't want to go through all the hassle and make something quick and easy. I played with various stickers, etc. but nothing held up to boiling water inside so this works for me. Also, it turns out the kettle markings are 1/2 gallon off so I'm glad I just didn't go with it.

Back