CHEAP Aluminum Pot - is it OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
I went to a thrift store the other day just killing some time and stumbled upon a 20 quart aluminum pot for 10 bucks! :rockin:

Is there any negatives to using such a cheap pot? You can tell it is paper thin but i grabbed it anyway as i can return it if it is not a good idea.

I read this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/ and see that there is nothing really wrong with using an aluminum pot to boil the wort but wanted to see if there was a risk using such a cheap one.

Thanks

Risks, no, not at all. Thinner metal causes uneven heat distribution but it's "sub-optimal" not "risky". I have a pretty cheap, pretty thin aluminum kettle and it works just fine!

perfect! I am so excited about my $50 + dollar savings ... i found out on brew day that i only had a 2 gallon container to boil 1.5 gallons of wort plus ingredients :(

perfect! I am so excited about my $50 + dollar savings ... i found out on brew day that i only had a 2 gallon container to boil 1.5 gallons of wort plus ingredients :(

You didn't really save $50.00. You can get a stainless steel 20qt for $25.00 in the stores.

Still a great deal though. Congrats

You didn't really save $50.00. You can get a stainless steel 20qt for $25.00 in the stores.

Still a great deal though. Congrats

:mad: hey let me enjoy my assumed savings! HA HA HA I keep seeing them for like 40 bucks for a 16 quart or so.

Latest posts

Back