Cheap 5 gallon bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberto188

Reaction score
Walmart sells Nestle 5 gallon jugs of water for 12 bucks. They are actually something like 5 bucks with a 7 dollar deposit. These are basically a 5 gallon plastic carboy for 12 bucks...and you get 5 gallons of filtered water too. Also, because technically you are buying water, in states with no tax on food, you avoid the additional tax. Just thought I'd share. I picked up 4 of these for my next couple batches of wine.

Storing water and fermenting alcohols are 2 different things. I would make sure these bottles are food grade and are ok with handling such liquids. You can get a 6 gallon buckets and a lid for $15 at your LHBS.

Storing water and fermenting alcohols are 2 different things. I would make sure these bottles are food grade and are ok with handling such liquids. You can get a 6 gallon buckets and a lid for $15 at your LHBS.

All Nestle 5 Gallon bottles are PET #1 - same stuff the better bottle is made of. Should be fine for both primary and secondary. These things even have a handle on them which makes it easier to move. I will use mostly for secondary as it is clear and make it easier to observe how well the wine is clarifying. My primary fermentation always takes place in a bucket, but after primary, it's all carboys. These will work great.

Back