Chasing source of off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redkegGV

Reaction score
I have been trying to troubleshoot what I perceive to be an off flavor for what feels like over two years now. The flavor is a cidery/sweetish aroma. It has a subtle cidery taste, and sometimes I perceive it as hot even though my beers are generally well below 6%.
I ferment in Anvil stainless brew buckets. Sometimes after cleaning with PBW at appropriate temps and dosage, I can still SMELL it on the stainless. It is driving me nuts.
I suspected my kegs, because I would sometimes not perceive it until after the beers were kegged. I nuked them with boiling H2O/pbw. StarSan soak. Replaced all gaskets, washers and rubber/plastic, even new poppits. I no longer smell it in the kegs after washing, so that's a start.
I just transferred a beer into a clean keg and i'm partly kicking myself, because the beer has the aroma. I cold crashed the fermentor down to 50F (that's as low as I could go) and prior to cold crashing, I did not perceive the flavor (3 days ago).
So now I suspect my fermentors. I have not replaced the plastic or rubber gaskets that contact the beer in the fermentors, so that's my next move.
With all of that said, I have a plan to continue hunting down the source however I can not find information on what yeast or bacteria could be causing this, I am truly stumped. Cidery, bordering on sherry, sometimes perceived as hot. There are off flavors that are described this way, but the usual suspects for these flavors I've already eliminated and they also tend to be more process driven. Sometimes I wonder if it's yeast stress? Its just such a distinct flavor, and it doesn't matter the style i'm brewing. It shows up nearly every time. So far I've narrowed it to something that likes lower temps, alcohol tolerant (it only appears post fermentation), does not seem to intensify over time. I've had it affect competition beers, too but I've not bee packaging beyond the keg since last year so I know it's further back in the process than my bottles and beer gun.

Any input appreciated - im going nuts.

It's most likely diacetyl. Depending on yeast strain and temperature profile it can manifest itself at the end of fermentation or later in maturation. It's possible that you are quite sensitive to it and can smell it even at low levels that others will not perceive.

What does your typical fermentation profile look like?

It's most likely diacetyl. Depending on yeast strain and temperature profile it can manifest itself at the end of fermentation or later in maturation. It's possible that you are quite sensitive to it and can smell it even at low levels that others will not perceive.

What does your typical fermentation profile look like?
I experienced diacetyl early in my brewing, same for acetaldihyde. Im pretty confident he is experiencing the latter. Diacetyl is more butter scotch forward and acetaldihyde is definitively cidery, tart apple, sherry like.

I experienced diacetyl early in my brewing, same for acetaldihyde. Im pretty confident he is experiencing the latter. Diacetyl is more butter scotch forward and acetaldihyde is definitively cidery, tart apple, sherry like.
Acetaldehyde is a direct by-product of fermentation and it is not consistent with the behavior he describes of it sometimes appearing later in maturation. Acetaldehyde is also anything but sweet/cidery, rather tart/green apple but of course subjective impressions are not necessarily consistent between different subjects.

It's not a terribly unpleasant flavor, my "tasters" don't seem to be put off by it. But I taste it in nearly all my beers so I know its an issue.

I have switched to using, almost exclusively, Safale 05 dry sachets for my 5 gallon brews. When I am able to avoid this troubling flavor, the yeast is clean, consistent, and very reliable and a fast fermentor.

I try to keep it simple and will pitch between 65 and 70F and let it settle in at 65 for the duration of the fermentation. I give it a bump to 68 for the last few days, then usually cold crash in the fermentor.

Acetaldehyde is a direct by-product of fermentation and it is not consistent with the behavior he describes of it sometimes appearing later in maturation. Acetaldehyde is also anything but sweet/cidery, rather tart/green apple but of course subjective impressions are not necessarily consistent between different subjects.
"it's not consistent with the bahavior she describes..."
:)

Thanks all for the input - I had a horrible acetaldehyde infection years ago and will never forget it.

But.... would diacetyl linger in my fermentors and kegs, even after proper cleaning?

Thanks all for the input - I had a horrible acetaldehyde infection years ago and will never forget it.

But.... would diacetyl linger in my fermentors and kegs, even after proper cleaning?
Plastic or stainless?

It sounds like acetaldehyde (which is not an infection but rather a stage of normal fermentation that lingers when yeast crash out too soon) and oxidation.

Boost ferm temps up 3F or so after fermentation slows and hold it there for a week. Transfer to a fully liquid then co2 purged keg to cold crash.

When you clean your Anvil buckets, do you disassemble and clean the valve? That’s really all that’s left that you didn’t list as covered. Is there a pump involved you could disassemble and inspect? You could try fermenting a batch in a new plastic bucket and see If it’s process or ingredients vs hardware. Kind of a head scratcher. Have you considered brewing cider?😬

Last edited:
Back